Bajwa, Dr. Garima
Assistant Professor Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Prior to Capitol Technology University, Dr. Bajwa won multiple awards as a PhD candidate at the University of North Texas and interned as a data scientist and software developer in private industry. She has over 5 years of experience in data processing and mathematical modeling using tools/languages like Weka, Matlab, and R. She acquired diverse scholarly training in data mining and machine learning during her PhD work involving computer science, neuroscience and signal processing. Her research work involved recording, analyzing and decrypting brain signals via EEG measurements from human subjects.
Areas of Expertise:
- Brain-Computer Interface (BCI)
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Signal Processing
- Computer Security
- Machine Learning
- Data Mining
- Doctor of Philosophy, Computer Science and Engineering, June 2016 - University of North Texas (UNT), USA
- Master of Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Jun 2011 - University Of Waterloo (UW), Canada
- Bachelor of Technology, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Jun 2009 - Mody Institute of Technology & Science (MITS), India
- Faculty Service of the Year, Capitol Technology University Faculty Awards, 2018
- Honorary Faculty Member, Upsilon Pi Epsilon, The International Honor Society For The Computing And Information Disciplines, 2018
- Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, Computers and Electrical Engineering, Elsevier, 2017
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Doctoral Student, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, UNT, 2016
- Top 8, National Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition, Conference of Southern Graduate Schools, Charlotte, North Carolina, 2016
- Winner, Three Minute Thesis (3MT), UNT, 2015
- Third place, UNT’s Inaugural Graduate Exhibition, 2013
- LASER Workshop grant, Washington D.C., 2013
- UNT Graduate Student Travel Grant, 2013
- ACM-Women travel grant, Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, 2012
- Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG), 2013-2016
- Tuition Benefit Award, Toulouse Graduate School, UNT, 2015-2016
- UNT College of Engineering Annual Scholarship, 2014-2015
- UNT scholarship for continuing graduate students (USC), 2013-2014
- Research Fellowship, NSF MRI 2008-G72373 Grant, 2013-2014
- UNT Graduate Assistant Tuition Scholarship (GATS), 2011-2013
- UNT Academic Achievement Scholarship (AAS), 2011-2013
Research & Publications
- Garima Bajwa and Ram Dantu, “Neurokey: Towards a New Paradigm of Cancelable Biometrics based Key Generation using Electroencephalograms,” Computers & Security Journal, 62, pp.95-113, 2016.
- Oscar N. Garcia and Garima Bajwa, “Integration of Quantum Information Systems in Computer Science and in Electrical Engineering,” Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science, 19(4), pp.9-20, 2016.
- Garima Bajwa, Ram Dantu, and Arvind Nana, “Quantifying Dynamic Cerebral Autoregulation using Electroencephalograms,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 96(10), p.e69, 2015.
- Garima Bajwa, Mohamed Fazeen, Ram Dantu, and Sonal Tanpure, “Unintentional Bugs to Vulnerability Mapping in Android Applications,” Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI), 2015 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
- Logan Widick, Josh Talkington, Garima Bajwa, and Ram Dantu, “A Framework for Secured Collaboration in mHealth,” in Collaboration Technologies and Systems (CTS), 2015 International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
- Garima Bajwa, Ram Dantu, and Ryan Aldridge, "Pass-Pic: A Mobile User Authentication," Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI), 2015 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
- Mohamed Fazeen, Garima Bajwa, and Ram Dantu, “Context-aware multimedia encryption in mobile platforms,” In Proceedings of the 9th Annual Cyber and Information Security Research Conference (CISR '14), Robert K. Abercrombie and J. Todd McDonald (Eds.). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 53-56, 2014.
- Garima Bajwa and Ram Dantu, "Cerebral Autoregulation Assessment using Electroencephalograms,"In 8th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2013), Boston, MA, USA.
- Jagannadh Vempati, Garima Bajwa, and Ram Dantu, "NFC Based Two-Pass Mobile Authentication," In S. Angelos, and W. Charles (Eds.): Research in Attacks, Intrusions, and Defenses (RAID) 2013, Volume 8145 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 467–468, 2013.
- Oscar N. Garcia, Garima Bajwa, Cynthia L. Claiborne, Shanti R. Thiyagaraja, Mohamed Fazeen, Eric H. Pruett; “Information Theoretic thread of Compression, Encryption, and Error Control for the Cloud,”ASEE-Gulf Southwest Conference, Arlington, USA, March 2013
- Garima Bajwa, Ram Dantu, Mohamed Fazeen Mohamed Issadeen, and Rajiv M. Joseph, "Self-tracking via Brain-Mobile-Cloud Interface," In AAAI Spring Symposium Series, North America, Mar 2013.
Organizations & Affiliations
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Alpha Chi National College Honor Society
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine (ACRM) (former)
- UNT Women in Computing (former)
- Invited Chair, Young Professionals (YP) Affinity Group, IEEE Baltimore, 2018 – present
- Campus Ambassador, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), CTU, 2016 - present
- Faculty Advisor, Society of Women Engineers (SWE), CTU, 2016 - present
- Mentor, Capitol Scholarship Program, CTU, 2016 - present
- Judge, UNT summer undergraduate program in Engineering Research poster competition, 2015
- Officer, UNT World Echoes Organization, 2011-2013
- Deputy Secretary, BEACON (Society of Engineers at MITS), 2008-2009