McAndrew, Dr. Ian
Dean of Doctoral Programs
An internationally recognized leader in aerodynamics research and expert on low-speed flight, Dr. McAndrew has five degrees: a PhD, two master’s degrees and two bachelor’s degrees. He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society. Dr. McAndrew chairs several international conferences and journals and is invited to give keynote speeches all over the world. He started his career in the automotive industry as an engine designer, and has worked at several universities across the globe. Dr. McAndrew is Dean of doctoral programs at Capitol. An external examiner on the world wide stage (UK USA, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Japan, Australia, Greece and Kenya) his experience includes over 80 successful Doctorate successes.
Areas of Expertise:
- systems reliability
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, Hertfordshire University
- M.A. - Master of Arts in Educational Studies, University of Luton
- M.S. - Master of Science in Manufacturing: Management and Technology, The Open University
- B.A. - Bachelor of Arts in Mechanical Engineering, The Open University
- Henry Ford Technology Award 1991
Certifications & Licenses
- Chartered Electrical Engineer
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society
Research & Publications
- McAndrew, I. R. (2018), AERODYNAMIC IMPLICATIONS FOR TWIN-WING AIRCRAFT AT HIGH ALTITUDE, Journal of applied Mechanical Engineering, p.52, October, Volume 7 ISBN:2168-9873
- Whelan, K., McAndrew I. R. and Clark, P, (2018) ECONOMIC IMPLICATIONS FOR EMISSIONS WITH EUROPEAN LOW-COST CARRIERS USING VARIOUS FUELING STRATEGIES AND OPERATIONS, Journal of International Sustainable Aviation. Submitted. Vol 3. No. 4.
- McAndrew, I. Vishnevskaya, E. and Carruthers, A. (2017) Twin-Wing Design Options used for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles to achieve High Altitudes at Low Speeds, International Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IJRDO). Nov, Vol 3 Issue 11. p 15 – 24.
- Witcher, K, Navarro, E, Wood, B & McAndrew, I (2017) Quality Function Deployment and Proactive Quality Techniques applied to University Lectures to Improve Student Feedback, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Science (IJRES) ISSN (Online): 2320-9364, ISSN (Print): 2320-9356 www.ijres.org Volume 5 Issue 7 ǁ July. 2017 ǁ PP. 41-4
- McAndrew, I, Witcher, K, Navarro, E & Foreman, P., (2017) Multi-Choice Questions and their Problems when used for assessment of Aircraft Engineers Education, Engineering Publication House Journal, July Volume-3 | Issue-7,Paper-2, page 12-19.
- McAndrew, I. R, Navarro, E. & Witcher, K (2017), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MATERIALS, MECHATRONICS AND MANUFACTURING, Propeller Design Requirements for Quadcopters Utilizing Variable Pitch Propellers, Volume 6, Number 1.
- Tuccio, W., Driscoll, G., Smith, M. & McAndrew, I. R. (2016). Interventionist Applied Conversation Analysis: Collaborative Transcription and Repair Based Learning (CTRBL) in Aviation. Journal of Pragmatics and Society, Volume 7, Issue 1, 2016, pages: 30 –56
- Holley, S. & McAndrew, I. (2016), Cognitive Loading, Affect Regulation and Aerodynamic Considerations in Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle Systems Refueling Operations, Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology, Volume 3, Issue 4, March, pp.4264-4272, ISSN: 2458-9403 (Online).
- McAndrew, I., Kanitz, M., & Carruthers, A. (2016), Maintenance Implications for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Remote Locations, IOSR Journal of Engineering Volume 6, Issue 2, Version 3, p.1-6. ISSN (Online): 2250-3021.
- McAndrew, I., (2016), Lift & Drag Reductions on Iced Wings during Take-off and Landing with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER), www.ajer.org, Volume 5 - Issue 2, pp. 215-221
- McAndrew, K. L. Witcher, & E. Navarro (2016), Glide Effects on Low Speed Unmanned Aerial Vehicles with Ice Formation, Int. Journal of Information Technology & Mechanical Engineering - IJITME, Vol.2 Issue. 2, February- 2016, pg. 1-13 ISSN: 2349-2865
- McAndrew, I., Witcher, K., Navarro, E. (2016). Aerodynamic Effects of Ice and Its Influences on Flight Characteristics of Low Speed Unmanned Aerial Vehicles'. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index, Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, 2(1), 1338.
- Whealan George, K. A., Brady, T., McAndrew, I., Price, I., & Clair, R. T. (2015). Economic Interrelationships and Impacts of the Aviation/Aerospace Industry in the State of Florida using Input-Output Analysis. International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 2(3). Retrieved from http://commons.erau.edu/ijaaa/vol2/iss3/9
- McAndrew, I. R., Witcher, K. & Navarro, E. (2015). UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE MATERIAL SELECTION AND ITS INFLUENCE ON DRAG AT LOW SPEED, International Journal of Unmanned Systems Engineering, 2nd World Congress on Unmanned Systems Engineering, Granada, Spain, 30th -31st July
- McAndrew, I. R., Navarro, E., Godsey, O. (2015). Drogue System Reliability Analysis Using Weibull Analysis. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 798, pp. 622-626. Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.798.622
Organizations & Affiliations
- Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- Sample, C., Shelton, C., McAndrew, I. R., and Justice, C. (2019), The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on University Cyber Security Programs. European Conference on the Impact of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, ECIAIR, 31st Oct – 1st Nov., Oxford, UK
- McAndrew, I., Aerodynamic implications for twin-wing aircraft at high altitudes Journal of Applied Mechanical Engineering, 25-27th Oct., 2018, Berlin.
- McAndrew, I. R. & Vishnevskaya, E, (2018) Is the Sky above us safe and how has this been influenced by the past and present policies? 9th ICMAE, Hungary.
- Witcher, K., McAndrew, I. and Vishnevskaya, E, (2018), Take-Off Characteristics for NACA 4612 Aerofoil in a Twin-Wing Configuration with Optimum Angles of Attack, 2nd International Conference on Aerospace, Mechanical and mechatronic Engineering.24th – 26th March, Hanoi, Vietnam. www.camme.org
- McAndrew, I & Vishnevskaya, E, & Witcher, K. (2018), Establishing Angle of Attach of NACA 6412 Twin-Wing on Take-Off, European Conference on Material, Mechatronics and Manufacture, Krakow, Poland, 10th – 12th February.
- Witcher, K., McAndrew, I. R., and Vishnevskaya, E, (2017) Aerodynamic Analysis of Low Speed Wing Design using Taguchi L9 Orthogonal Array, International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Yokohama, Japan, 29th – 31st Dec. http://acmae.com/
- Clark, P., McAndrew, I., & Whealan, George, K. (2017) Mechanical and Economical Consequences of Heavy Fuel Loadings for Low Cost Air Carriers, International Symposium on Sustainable Aviation, 10th – 13th Sept, Kiev, Ukraine.
- McAndrew, I., Navarro, E. and Godsey, O. (2017), Low Speed and High Altitude Flight - Unmanned Flight at low speed in Altitudes above 50,000ft, 8th International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 22nd – 25th July, Prague, Czech Republic.
- McAndrew, I., Navarro, E. and Godsey, O. (2016), Symmetrical Aerofoils and the Influence of Damage or Debris for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, 7th International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 18th – 21st July, London, England.
- McAndrew, I., Clark, P., & Whealan George, K. (2016), ECONOMICAL IMPLICATIONS FOR EMISSIONS WITH LOW-COST CARRIERS USING VARIOUS FUELING STRATEGIES AND OPERATIONS, International Symposium on Sustainable Aviation, 31 May – 3 June, 2016 Istanbul, TURKEY.
- McAndrew, I., Balog, C., Glassman, A., Bourdeau, D., Navarro, E. (2016) [Keynote], Unmanned Aerial Systems Operational Challenges When Used Between Regions in Where English is not Widely Spoken or Understood, ICOAE, Moscow, Russia, 18th-20th May.
- McAndrew, I., Witcher, K., Navarro, E. (2016). '[Keynote Talk]: Aerodynamic Effects of Ice and Its Influences on Flight Characteristics of Low Speed Unmanned Aerial Vehicles'. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index, Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, 2(1), 1334.
- Holley, S. & McAndrew, I. (2015, July). Cognitive loading and aerodynamic considerations in unmanned aerial vehicle systems refueling operations. Paper presented at the 6th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, Las Vegas, NV.
- McAndrew, I. R., Godsey, O., & Navarro, E. (2015). DROUGUE SYSTEM RELIABILITY ANALYSIS USING WEIBULL ANALYSIS. Applied Mechanics and Materials Journal: Proceedings from the 6th International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Rome, Italy.
- Director of several Educational Charities in UK