McAndrew, Dr. Ian
Dean of Doctoral Programs
An internationally recognized leader in aerodynamics research and expert on low-speed flight, Dr. McAndrew has five degrees: a PhD, two master’s degrees and two bachelor’s degrees. He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society. Dr. McAndrew chairs several international conferences and journals and is invited to give keynote speeches all over the world. He started his career in the automotive industry as an engine designer, and has worked at several universities across the globe. Dr. McAndrew is dean of doctoral programs at Capitol.
Areas of Expertise:
- systems reliability
- Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, Hertfordshire University
- M.A. - Master of Arts in Educational Studies, University of Luton
- M.S. - Master of Science in Manufacturing: Management and Technology, The Open University
- B.A. - Bachelor of Arts in Mechanical Engineering, The Open University
- Henry Ford Technology Award 1991
Certifications & Licenses
- Chartered Electrical Engineer
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society
Research & Publications
- McAndrew, I. R, Navarro, E. & Witcher, K (2017), INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MATERIALS, MECHATRONICS AND MANUFACTURING, Propeller Design Requirements for Quadcopters Utilizing Variable Pitch Propellers, Volume 6, Number 1.
- Tuccio, W., Driscoll, G., Smith, M. & McAndrew, I. R. (2016). Interventionist Applied Conversation Analysis: Collaborative Transcription and Repair Based Learning (CTRBL) in Aviation. Journal of Pragmatics and Society, Volume 7, Issue 1, 2016, pages: 30 –56
- Holley, S. & McAndrew, I. (2016), Cognitive Loading, Affect Regulation and Aerodynamic Considerations in Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle Systems Refueling Operations, Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology, Volume 3, Issue 4, March, pp.4264-4272, ISSN: 2458-9403 (Online).
- McAndrew, I., Kanitz, M., & Carruthers, A. (2016), Maintenance Implications for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Remote Locations, IOSR Journal of Engineering Volume 6, Issue 2, Version 3, p.1-6. ISSN (Online): 2250-3021.
- McAndrew, I., (2016), Lift & Drag Reductions on Iced Wings during Take-off and Landing with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER), www.ajer.org, Volume 5 - Issue 2, pp. 215-221
- McAndrew, K. L. Witcher, & E. Navarro (2016), Glide Effects on Low Speed Unmanned Aerial Vehicles with Ice Formation, Int. Journal of Information Technology & Mechanical Engineering - IJITME, Vol.2 Issue. 2, February- 2016, pg. 1-13 ISSN: 2349-2865
- McAndrew, I., Witcher, K., Navarro, E. (2016). Aerodynamic Effects of Ice and Its Influences on Flight Characteristics of Low Speed Unmanned Aerial Vehicles'. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Science Index, Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, 2(1), 1338.
- Whealan George, K. A., Brady, T., McAndrew, I., Price, I., & Clair, R. T. (2015). Economic Interrelationships and Impacts of the Aviation/Aerospace Industry in the State of Florida using Input-Output Analysis. International Journal of Aviation, Aeronautics, and Aerospace, 2(3). Retrieved from http://commons.erau.edu/ijaaa/vol2/iss3/9
- McAndrew, I. R., Witcher, K. & Navarro, E. (2015). UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLE MATERIAL SELECTION AND ITS INFLUENCE ON DRAG AT LOW SPEED, International Journal of Unmanned Systems Engineering, 2nd World Congress on Unmanned Systems Engineering, Granada, Spain, 30th -31st July
- McAndrew, I. R., Navarro, E., Godsey, O. (2015). Drogue System Reliability Analysis Using Weibull Analysis. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 798, pp. 622-626. Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.798.622
- McAndrew, I. R., Witcher, K. & Navarro, E. (2015). Drogue Deflections in Low Speed Unmanned Arial Refuelling. International Journal of Research in Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering (Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 119-127). ISSN (Online): 2321-3051. http://www.ijrame.com/vol3issue1/V3i114.pdf
- Ison, D. C., Weiland, L., McAndrew, I., & Moran, K. (2015). Identification of Air Traffic Management Principles Influential in the Development of an Airport Arrival Delay Prediction Model. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education & Research, 24(2). http://dx.doi.org/10.15394/jaaer.2015.1618
- McAndrew, I. R., Godsey, O., & Navarro, E. (2014). Aerodynamics of Drogue System Refueling of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Advanced Materials Research (Vol. 1016, pp 349-353). Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.1016.349
- McAndrew, I, R. & Navarro, E. (2014). Low speed re-fuelling of unmanned aerial vehicles using the Drogue system. European Journal of Engineering and Technology, 2 (1), 1-8.
- McAndrew, I. R. & Moran, K. (2013). Aerodynamic Design Considerations for in-flight Refuelling of Unmanned Vehicles. Applied Mechanics and Materials (Vol. 390, pp 43-47). Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.390.43
- McAndrew, I. R., & Witcher, K. (2013). Design consideration and requirements for in-flight refuelling of unmanned vehicles. Journal of Aeronautics & Aerospace Engineering, 2(2), 1-4, doi:10.4172/2168-9792.1000108
- Kounis, L. D., O’Sullivan, J. M., & McAndrew, I. R. (2001). Modelling of parametric relationships in jet fans. International Journal of Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management, 4(1), 34.
Organizations & Affiliations
- Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
- Director of several Educational Charities in UK