Levy, Dr. Mitchell
Dean of Academics
Dr. Mitch Levy is Dean of Academics at Capitol Technology University. He previously served as interim Vice President of Academic Affairs, Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs and Executive Assistant to the President for Senior Leadership Development for the College of Southern Maryland. Dr. Levy holds a Ph.D. from Florida State University in addition to a Master of Education and B.A. from Boston University. In 2021, Dr. Levy completed a Harvard University Graduate School of Education Institute for Higher Education Certificate program.
Dr. Levy currently serves on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Behavioral Intervention Teams (J-BIT) and as Editor of the NASPA Student Affairs Partnering with Academic Affairs Knowledge Community (SAPAA-KC) professional publication, Synergy. As a Full and Associate Professor, he has presented 90 doctoral and masters level courses for the Fordham University and Long Island University Graduate Schools of Education. In addition, he has presented 40 undergraduate Psychology courses for Iona College and served as Chair of innovative Bridge Programs & Student Success courses. He has served on the National Center for Higher Education Risk Management (NCHERM) Risk Assessment Consultants Team, National Behavioral Intervention Team Association (NaBITA) Advisory Council and the Cape May County (NJ) Chamber of Commerce Executive Board & Veterans Services Committee. Dr. Levy has presented 100+ professional development webinars/workshops as a conference Keynote, panelist, featured speaker and presenter and has co-edited/co-authored books, chapters, articles and case-studies addressing emerging issues in Higher Education.
Dr. Levy has served as curriculum development consultant and subject matter expert for an NIH-Grant and as the author of a 12-credit post-graduate Advanced Certificate in Systemic Crisis Management for the L.I.U. Graduate School of Education (approved by N.Y. State Dept. of Education in 2105). In 2015, Dr. Levy served on a dissertation committee for the University of New England and was appointed as a NASPA Assistant/Associate Vice President Cohort-Connections professional development facilitator. His research in support of equity-informed student success has received 2011 and 2015 NASPA Promising Practice Awards, a 2015 Achieving the Dream Leader College Award, 2015 NASPA Region-II C.C. Professional of the Year Award and a CUNY Salute-to-Scholars Certificate of Recognition.
Areas of Expertise:
- Equity-informed Curriculum Development
- Design, implementation and assessment of innovative Pedagogy and Andragogy
- Program Development, Implementation and Assessment
- Collaborative Strategic Planning
- Crisis Management
- Doctor of Philosophy, Counseling Psychology & Human Systems (concentrations in Organizational Development & Clinical Psychology), Florida State University
- Master of Education, Counseling & Guidance, Boston University
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology & Sociology, Boston University
- Critical Incident Stress Management
- Advanced Aggression Management
- Title IX Case Management
Research & Publications
- Levy, M.A. & Polnariev, B. (in-print). #SocialEquityMatters: A multimodal approach to strengthening student success through innovation. In Yeakey, C. and Allen, W.A. (Eds.). Neighborhoods, Communities, and Urban Marginality. Palgrave Macmillan, Inc.
- Levy, M.A. & Polnariev, B. (June 2020). An Overview of Student Affairs. In Miriam, D.E. and Marilyn, J.A. (Eds.). The Sage Encyclopedia of Higher Education. 4th Edition. Sage Publishing.
- Co-editor (with Polnariev, B.). (June, 2016). Academic and Student Affairs in Collaboration:
- Creating a Culture of Student Success. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- Granovskaya, Y., Levy, M.A., & Polnariev, B. (June, 2016). Faculty Commitment in Assessment Based Orientation. In Levy & Polnariev (Eds.). Academic and Student Affairs in Collaboration: Creating a Culture of Student Success. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- Levy, M.A. & Polnariev, B. (June, 2016). Faculty Involvement in Academic Advising. In Levy & Polnariev (Eds.). Academic and Student Affairs in Collaboration: Creating a Culture of Student Success. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- O’Connor, S., Levy, M.A., & Polnariev, B. (June, 2016). Curricular Infusion of Student Success Strategies. In Levy & Polnariev (Eds.). Academic and Student Affairs in Collaboration: Creating a Culture of Student Success. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- O’Connor, S., Polnariev, B., & Levy, M.A. (June, 2016). Developing Successful Collaborative Bridge Programs. In Levy & Polnariev (Eds.). Academic and Student Affairs in Collaboration: Creating a Culture of Student Success. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- Polnariev, B. & Levy, M.A. (June, 2016). Collaborative Strategic Planning. In Levy & Polnariev (Eds.). Academic and Student Affairs in Collaboration: Creating a Culture of Student Success. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- Contributing author in Van Brunt, B. & Fitch, P. (May, 2016). A Guide to Leadership and Management in Higher Education. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- Levy, M.A.; Kammer, M.; Bouy, J., et.al. (2014). Curricular Infusion of Career Development: A Student Affairs and Academic Affairs Collaboration. Dec. 2014; Synergy (NASPA).
- Levy, M.A. (2014). Addressing Mental Health Needs of Student-Athletes. NCHERM, LLC. Weekly professional development-post, 9/2/14.
- Levy, M.A. (2014). A Holistic Perspective on Service Learning. April 2014; Synergy (NASPA).
- Contributing author in Van Brunt, B. & Lewis, S. (2013): A Faculty Guide to Addressing Disruptive and Dangerous Behavior. Routledge Publishing, Taylor and Francis Books, Inc.
- Levy, M.A. (2013). Assessing Preparedness to Manage Emergencies. NCHERM. LLC. Tip of the Week-post, 6/17/03.
- https://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/academic-leadership/making-academic-advisinganinstitutional-priority/. Excerpted from Encouraging Faculty Participation in Academic Advising Academic Leader, 2 8.4 (2012): 3,6.
- O’Connor, S.; Polnariev, B.A., & Levy, M.A. (2012). Five Core Considerations for Counseling Non-Traditional Students. Student Affairs News, www.studentaffairsnews.com. March 2012.
- Polnariev, B.A., & Levy, M.A. (2011). Enhancing Faculty Advisement Training. Trainer’s Guide. Magna Publications, Inc.
- Levy, M.A., & Polnariev, B.A. (2011). Reframing Faculty Resistance to Developmental Advising: Inspiring a Paradigm Shift. Reframing Manual. Magna Publications, Inc.
- Levy, M.A., Polnariev, B.A., & McGowan, L. (2011). The Integration of Reality-based Programming to Address “Schizophrenic” Support Services. Student Affairs News www.studentaffairsnews.com , August, 2011.
- Contributing author in Van Brunt, B. Tabletop Exercises for Threat Assessment (2011). Madison, WI. Magna Publications, Inc.
- < Levy, M.A., Romanello, L. & Robinson, D. (2011). Career Maturity Rubric. LaGuardia C.C.&
- Levy, M.A., & Polnariev, B.A. (2009). Developmental Advising Assessment Instrument, LaGuardia C.C.
- Levy, M.A., McGowan, L. & Polnariev, B.A. (2008). Faculty Advising Engagement Instrument, LaGuardia C.C.
- Designed Suffolk County C.C. College Success Program Student Engagement Data System.
- Gordon, L., & Levy, M. (2005). Career Transitions. In Taylor, J.S. & Wilson, G.S. (Eds.) Applied sports psychology: Four Perspectives. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Press.
- Grieger, I., Tully, A. & Levy, M.A. (1998). Multicultural Competencies and Activities Portfolio for Faculty & Administrators. Iona College.
- Levy, M.A., et.al. (1997). Life Goals Assessment Instrument. Passaic County C.C.
- Levy, M.A. (1997) Passaic County C.C. ADA/504 Services Policy & Procedures Manual.
- Tully, A., Levy, M. & Grieger, I. (1995). Free your Mind: Exploring Stereotypes and Political Correctness. The WPRACD Professional Report.
- Levy, M.A. & Warren, B. (1986). Athletic Emotional Reaction Profile, Pace University.
- Levy, M.A., & Burke, K. (1986). The Life after Sports Clinic: A Program Proposal. The Journal of Applied Research in Coaching and Athletics, 1, 212-225.
Organizations & Affiliations
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- NASPA Student Affairs Partnering with Academic Affairs Knowledge Community
- NACADA (National Academic Advising Association)
- CAEL (Council for Adult & Experiential Learning)
- M&T Bank- LGBTQA March/Fundraising Team
- College of Southern Maryland Transgender Awareness Day Program
- Relay for Life (American Cancer Society)
- Midnight Run (distribute food/clothing to N.Y.C. homeless); Campus Food Pantries
- Habitat for Humanity; National Make a Difference Day; Post-911 N.Y.C. Donations
- Iona College Week of the Peacemaker: social justice “teach-ins”
- Campus/Community “No More” Sexual Violence Prevention Campaigns
- Chaperoned Alternative Spring Break, assist Coalition for the Homeless (Wash, D.C.)
- Supervised collection/donation of 1,000 holiday gifts to Paterson, N.J. Head Start
- Abraham House (Bronx, N.Y.)- substance abuse treatment facility
- Cape May County (N.J.) Hunger Summit, Baby-Shower, Veterans Clinics
- Southern N.J. AIDS Walk