Abu-Ageel, Dr. Nayef
Dean of Academics and Chair of the Electrical Engineering Department
Dr. Abu-Ageel has over fifteen years of academic and industrial experience in research, teaching, and entrepreneurship. He holds a PhD in Electrical Engineering from Michigan State University. He joined Capitol Technology University in January 2016. Prior to this, Dr. Abu-Ageel served as an adjunct professor in the Department of Bioengineering and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at George Mason University. The innovative teaching practices he introduced include integrating entrepreneurship into class material as well as involving engineering students with the local community.
Areas of Expertise:
- Higher Education Curriculum Development
- Online and Blended Learning
- Industrial Partnerships
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, 1996.
- M.S., Electrical Engineering Department, Jordan University of Science & Technology, Irbid, Jordan, 1988.
- B.S., Electrical Engineering Department, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, 1986.
- Academic Dean, Capitol Technology University, Laurel, Maryland, 2017-Present.
- Dean, College of Engineering & IT, Al Ain University of Science & Technology, UAE, 2013-2015.
- Founded a startup and raised over $1.1 million of seed funding in 2002.
Honors & Awards
- 2018, Innovation, Leadership, and Service Award, Capitol Technology University, Maryland
- 2015, Outstanding Researcher Award, Al Ain University of Science & Technology (UAE)
- 2013, Finalist, Startup Competition for the Second R&D Project Brokerage Event (Turkey)
- 2010, Semifinalist, MassChallenge Startup Competition (Massachusetts)
Research & Publications
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Laser-Driven Solid-State Light Source for etendue-limited applications (2013). IEEE/OSA Journal of Display Technology, 10/8: 700-703.
- The Seebeck coefficient of monocrystalline-SiC and polycrystalline-SiC measured at 300-533 K (2000). Semiconductor Science and Technology, 15/32: 32-33.
- Temperature dependence of conductivity and Hall concentration of polycrystalline SiC deposited on fused silica by laser ablation (1998). Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, B16/1: 142-146.
- Pulsed laser deposition of SiC films on fused silica and sapphire substrates (1993). Journal of Applied Physics, 73/12: 8242-8249.
- Ultra-Compact Laser-Based Pico-Projector Architectures (2012). The SID International Symposium, 43/1: 1016-1019.
- Electrical characterization of polycrystalline SiC thin films deposited on fused silica substrates by laser ablation (1994). Proceedings of the Fifth Conference on Silicon Carbide and Related Materials, Institute of Physics Conference Series, 137/1: 137-140.
- Deposition of thin films of silicon carbide on fused quartz and on sapphire by laser ablation of ceramic silicon carbide targets (1993). MRS Proceedings, 285/1: 495-495.
- Illumination systems utilizing wavelength conversion materials. U.S. Patent # 8,096,668.
- Method and apparatus for reducing laser speckle. U.S. Patent # 7,719,738.
- Light recycler and color display system including same. U.S. Patent # 7,475,992.
- Compact light collection system and method. U.S. Patent # 7,400,805.
- Method and apparatus for reducing laser speckle. U.S. Patent # 7,379,651.
- Method and system of LED light extraction using optical elements. U.S. Patent # 7,360,936.
- Compact projection system including a light guide array. U.S. Patent # 7,318,644.
- Light guide array, fabrication methods and optical system employing same. U.S. Patent # 7,306,344.
- Compact polarization conversion system for optical displays. U.S. Patent # 7,301,701.
- Illumination system and display system employing same. U.S. Patent # 7,298,940.
- Micro-mechanical system employing electrostatic actuator and fabrication methods of same. U.S. Patent # 6,888,662.
- Switch-variable optical attenuator and switch arrays. U.S. Patent # 6,847,753.
- Micro-machine electrostatic actuator, method and system employing same, and fabrication methods thereof. U.S. Patent # 6,757,092.
Organizations & Affiliations
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2015-present
American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), 2016-present
- Committee Chair, PTA, Laurel Hill Elementary School, Lorton, Virginia, USA, July 2017 - January 2018.
- Three 1-hour hands-on nano-technology workshops. Mill Pond School, Westborough, Massachusetts, USA, March 6, 2012
- Four 3-hour hands-on nano-technology workshops. Middle-high schools, Yanbu, KSA, May 28 – June 1, 2011
- Twelve 4-hour hands-on nano-technology workshops. Middle-high schools, Medinah, KSA, May 29 – June 2, 2010.
- Lessons from Leaders on Modernizing Higher Education Engineering Curriculum (Section 4)
- Improving Engineering Education: Nayef Abu-Ageel (Part 1)
- Increasing Gender Diversity in Engineering: Nayef Abu-Ageel (Part 2)
Read an interview with Dr. Abu-Ageel.