Steele, Dr. Robert J.
Chair and Professor, Computer Science
Dr. Robert Steele serves as Chair and Professor of the Computer Science Department. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science, has authored more than 140 peer-reviewed publications, and his work has been patented and successfully commercialized. He also has extensive administrative experience in large, complex and leading institutions nationally and internationally and at all levels of program leadership, curriculum development and teaching.
Dr. Steele has extensive experience partnering with industry in teaching and research initiatives and in securing industry and competitive external research funding. His areas of interest include applied machine learning, mobile information systems, artificial intelligence and health informatics. He has also served as the Vice Chair of the ACM Special Interest Group on Mobility of Systems, Users, Data and Computing, ACM SIGMOBILE.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Flinders University, 2000
- B.S. (Honors), in Computer Science, University of Adelaide, 1995
- B.S. in Mathematics & Computer Science, University of Adelaide, 1994
- Applied machine learning
- Mobile and ubiquitous computing
- Health informatics
- Artificial intelligence
- Data mining
- Vice Chair, ACM Special Interest Group on Mobility (ACM SIGMOBILE), 2009-2013
- Academic Forum Member, American Medical Informatics Association, 2014-2017
Recent Selected Publications (By Year)
- Steele, R., Jaimes, L. (2019). Crowdsensing Sub-populations in a Region. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Springer. doi: 10.1007/s12652-018-0799-y.
- Jaimes, L, Chakeri, A., Steele, R., (2019). Localized Cooperation for Crowdsensing in a Fog Computing-enabled Internet of Things. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Springer. doi: 10.1007/s12652-018-0818-z
- Gentimis, T., Alnaser, AJ., Durante, A., Cook, K., Steele, R. (2019). Predicting Hospital Length of Say Using Neural Networks. International Journal of Big Data Intelligence doi: 10.1504/IJBDI.2019.10019022
- Hillsgrove, T, Steele, R. (2019). Machine Learning-based Wait Time Prediction for Autonomous Mobility-on-Demand Systems. IEEE SoutheastCon, Huntsville, AL, April, 2019.
- Steele, R., Hillsgrove, T. (2019). Predicting All-condition, In-hospital Mortality of Elective Patients at Time of Scheduling. IEEE SoutheastCon, Huntsville, AL, April, 2019.
- Steele, R., Hillsgrove, T. (2019). Data Mined Models for Predicting In-hospital Mortality of Emergency Admissions at Time of Admission. IEEE SoutheastCon, Huntsville, AL, April, 2019.
- Steele, R., Thompson, B. (2019). Data Mining for Generalizable Pre-admission Prediction of Elective Length of Stay. 2019 9th Annual Computing and Communications Workshop and Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- Jaimes, L., Steele, R. (2018). Mobile Stress Interventions: Mechanisms and Implications. Transactions on Pervasive Health. doi: 10.4108/eai.28-2-2018.154343
- Thompson, B., Elish, K., Steele, R. (2018). Machine Learning-based Prediction of Prolonged Length of Stay in Newborns. 2018 17th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, Dec 17-18, Orlando, FL, USA.
- Brindise, L., Steele, R. (2018). Machine Learning-based Pre-discharge Prediction of Hospital Readmission. 2018 International Conference on Computer, Information and Telecommunication Systems (CITS), IEEE, July, 2018. Colimer, France. (best paper award)
- Veith, N., Steele, R. (2018) Machine Learning-based Prediction of ICU Patient Mortality at Time of Admission. International Conference on Information Systems and Data Mining, April 2018, Lakeland, FL, ACM
- Steele, R., Clarke, A. (2017). A Sensor-based Learning Public Health System. In System Sciences (HICSS), 2017 50th Hawaii International Conference on, Waikoloa, HI, 4-7 January, 2017. IEEE.
- Gentimis, T., Alnaser, AJ., Durante, A., Cook, K., Steele, R. (2017). Predicting Hospital Length of Stay Using Neural Networks on MIMIC III Data. IEEE International Conference on Big Data Intelligence and Computing.
- Sheeran, M., Steele, R. (2017). A Framework for Big Data Technology in Health and Healthcare. 8th IEEE Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference, NYC
- Eadie, M., Steele, R. (2017) Non-invasive Glucose Monitoring and Data Analytics, ICCDA 17, Lakeland, FL, May 19-21, 2017, ACM.
- Levene, T., Steele, R. (2017) The Quantified Self and Physical Therapy: The Application of Motion Sensing Technologies, ICCDA 17, Lakeland, FL, May 19-21, 2017, ACM.
- Livingston, J., Steele, R. (2017). A Crowdsensing Algorithm for Imputing Zika Outbreak Location Data. 8th IEEE Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference, NYC. (best paper award)
- Jaimes, L., Steele, R. (2017). Incentivization for Health Crowdsensing. IEEE Cyber Science and Technology Congress, Orlando, FL
- Goode, A., Steele, R. (2017). A Practical Cyber-physical System for the Self-capture of the Effect of Exercise on Blood Glucose Levels. IEEE Cyber Science and Technology Congress, Orlando, FL
- Steele, R., Clarke, A. (2016). An Architecture for Pull-based Public Health Interventions. In System Sciences (HICSS), 2016 49th Hawaii International Conference on. Kauai, HI, 5-8 January, 2016. IEEE.
- Clarke, A. Steele, R. (2015). Smartphone-based Public Health Information Systems: Anonymity, Privacy and Intervention. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 66(12), 2596-2608.
- Steele, R. (2015). An Overview of the State of the Art of Automated Capture of Dietary Intake Information. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 55(13), 1929-1938
- Dumbrell, D., & Steele, R. (2015, January). #worldhealthday 2014: The Anatomy of a Global Public Health Twitter Campaign. In System Sciences (HICSS), 2015 48th Hawaii International Conference on (pp. 3094-3103). IEEE.
- Dumbrell, D., & Steele, R. (2015). Preliminary Analysis of a Public Health Twitter Campaign: World Health Day 2014. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 2(1), 74-81.
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. (2014). A Smartphone-based System for Population-scale Anonymized Public Health Data Collection and Intervention. 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-47), (pp. 2908-2917), Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Computer Society. Winner, Best Paper Award HICSS 2014
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. (2014). Health Participatory Sensing Networks. Mobile Information Systems, 10(3), 229-242.
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. (2014) A Secure Query Assurance Approach for Distributed Health Records. Health Systems, 3(1), 60-73. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. 2014). Targeted and Anonymized Smartphone-based Public Health
- Interventions in a Participatory Sensing System. 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC'14), 3678-3682.
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. (2014). Local Processing to Achieve Anonymity in a Participatory Health e-Research System. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, Elsevier.
- Dumbrell, D., Steele, R. (2014). Social Media Technologies for Achieving Knowledge Management Amongst Older Adult Communities. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 147, 229-236, Elsevier.
- Dumbrell, D., Steele, R. (2014). Privacy Perceptions of Older Adults when Using Social Media Technoogies. In M. Tavana, A. Gapanchi, A. Talaei-Khoei (Eds.), Healthcare Informatics and Analytics: Emerging Issues and Trends, IGI Global.
- Dumbrell, D., Steele, R. (2014). Twitter and its Role in Health Information Dissemination: Analysis of the Micro-blog Posts of Health-related Organizations. In M. Tavana, A. Gapanchi, A. Talaei-Khoei (Eds.), Healthcare Informatics and Analytics: Emerging Issues and Trends, IGI Global.
- Steele, R. (2013). An Overview of the Role of Informatics-based Systems in Furthering an Integrated Paddock to Plate Food Supply System. Progress in Industrial Ecology, 8(1-2), 30-44.
- Steele, R., Lo, A. (2013). Telehealth and ubiquitous computing for bandwidth-constrained rural and remote areas. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 17(3), 533-543.
- Steele, R & Clarke, A. (2013). The Internet of Things and Next-generation Public Health Information Systems. Communications and Network, 5(3B1), 5-9.
- Dumbrell, D., Steele, R. (2013). Twitter and Health in the Australian Context: What Types of Information are Health-related Organizations Tweeting?. 2013 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-46), Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Computer Society.
- Steele, R. (2013). Utilizing Social Media, Mobile Devices and Sensors for Consumer Health Communication: A Framework for Categorizing Emerging Technologies and Techniques. In, Pervasive and Mobile Sensing and Computing for Healthcare: Technological and Social Issues, (pp. 233-249). Heidelberg Springer.
- Steele, R., Min, K. (2013). Towards Capturing Population-wide Expertise via Online Professional Social Networks. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 411-414, 115-124.
- Dumbrell, D., Steele, R. (2013) The Changing Nature of Health Information Dissemination through the Role of Social Media. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 411-414, 110-114.
- Steele, R., Min, K., Lo, A. (2012). Personal Health Record Architectures: Technology Infrastructure Implications and Dependencies. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 63(6), 1079-1091.
- Clarke, A., Pardede, E., Steele, R. (2012). External and Distributed Databases: Efficient and Secure XML Query Assurance. International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, 5(13 , June 2012), 421-433.
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. (2012). Secure and Reliable Distributed Health Records: Achieving Query Assurance Across Repositories of Encrypted Health Data, 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Steele, R., Clarke, A. (2012). A Real-time, Composite Healthy Building Measure Drawing Upon Occupant Smartphone-collected Data. Healthy Buildings 2012 10th International Conference, Brisbane, Australia: Queensland University of Technology.
- Steele, R., Min, K. (2012). Health News Feed: Identifying Personally Relevant Health-related URLs in Tweets. The 7th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, Piscataway, NJ, USA: (IEEE) Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. (2012). Summarized Data to Achieve Population-wide Anonymized Wellness Measures. 34th Annual International Conference of the IEEE - Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society, United States of America: IEEE Conference Publications Management Group.
- Dumbrell, D., Steele, R. (2012). What are the Characteristics of Highly Disseminated Public Health-related Tweets?. 24th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference (OzCHI 2012), New York: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- Steele, R., Min, K. (2012). Health System Zeitgeist: How Tweets can Provide Real-time Insight into the Health System. IEEE 10th International Conference on Industrial Informatics, New York, America: (IEEE) Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Steele, R., Dumbrell, D. (2012). Putting the Public into Public Health Information Dissemination: Social Media and Health-related Web Pages. Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS 2012), New York: ACM Digital Library.
- Steele, R., Powers, D. (2011). Indexing System and Method. US Patent, 7,987,165.
- Clarke, A., Steele, R. (2011). How Personal Fitness Data Can be Re-used by Smart Cities. The Seventh International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing, Adelaide.
- Steele, R.(2011). Social Media, Mobile Devices and Sensors: Categorizing New Techniques for Health Communication. The 5th International Conference on Sensing Technology, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- Steele, R. (2011). A Model for Social Network-enhanced Health Communication. International Conference on Social Computing and its Applications, Sydney.
- Yang, K., Steele, R. (2011). A Semantic Integration Solution for Online Accommodation Information Integration. Proceedings of the Sixth IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, Beijing, China.
- Steele, R., Min, K. (2010). HealthPass: Fine-grained Access Control to Portable Personal Health Records. 24th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, Perth, 20-23 April 2010.
- Khankan, K., Steele, R. (2010) Effective Mobile Remote Access to Desktop Applications and Information Systems.: Challenges and Opportunities. 24th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, Perth, 20-23 April 2010.
- Steele, R., Lo, A., Secombe, C., Wong, YK. (2009). Elderly Persons' Perception and Acceptance of Using Wireless Sensor Networks to Assist Healthcare. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 78(12): 788-801.
- Steele, R., Lo, A. (2009). Future Personal Health Records as a Foundation for Computational Health. Computational Science and Its Applications - ICCSA 2009, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 5593/ 2009: 719-733.
- Steele, R., Min, K. (2009). Role-based Access to Portable Personal Electronic Health Records. Proceedings of Information Systems and Management 09, Beijing, Sep 20-22.
- Steele, R., Min, K. (2009). Flexible Wireless Trust Through Ontology-Based Mapping and Its Attendant Semanti c Limitations. Network and System Security. NSS '09. Third International Conference on, , pp 240-245, IEEE.
- Yang, K., Steele, R. (2009). Ontology Mapping Based on Concept Classification. 3rd IEEE International Conference on Digital Ecosystems and Technologies, DEST 09, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Murphy, J., Steele, R. (2009). Some Observations on the Nature and Computer-based Representation of Legal Documents and their Link Data, Proceedings of the 2009 Intl. Conference on Computer Research and Development, ICCRD 2009, Perth, Australia.
- Yang, K., Lo, A., Steele, R. (2008). Ontology Mediated XML Data Translation. International Journal of Web Information Systems, 4 (2), 181-197.
- Yang, K., Steele, R. (2008). A System for Service-Oriented Data Aggregation. International Journal of Services and Standards, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp 119-140.
- Steele, R., (2008). Special Issue of Personal and Ubiquitous Computing: Papers from the Fourth International Conference on Mobile Business. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing 12(1): 1-1.
- Murphy, J., Steele, R., Shen, R. (2008). Exploiting the Rich Document Structures and Network Topology of Legal Information Systems. Proceedings of the Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems 08 (PACIS 08), Suzhou, China.
- Kennard, R., Steele, R. (2008). Application of Software Mining to Automatic User Interface Generation. SoMeT 2008: 244-254.
- Shen, R., Steele, R., Murphy, J. (2008). Building a Semantically Rich Legal Case Repository in OWL Proceedings of the Fourteenth Australasian World Wide Web Conference, AusWeb 08, 5-9 April.
- Tao, W., Steele, R. (2008). A Local Broker Enabled MobiPass Architecture for Enhancing Trusted Interaction Efficiency. Proceedings of the Australian Computer Science Conference, Wollongong, 22-25 January 2008.
- Murphy, J., Steele, R. (2008). A Framework for Semantically Rich Legal Documents and Applications. International Conference on Web Information Systems, Portugal, May, 08.