McCaskey, Dr. Steve
Vice President for Academic Affairs
Dr. McCaskey developed a solid background in aviation during his twenty years in the United States Navy. As a C-130 and P-3 Flight Engineer with over 5,000 flight hours, he became an expert in aircraft systems, weight and balance, emergency procedures, aircraft flight profiles, safety of flight, and aircrew flight equipment. This considerable systems knowledge allowed him to obtain an FAA Airframes and Power Plant license.
At the conclusion of his Navy career, he earned an undergraduate degree in Aviation Management, graduate degree in the field of workforce education specializing in developing training programs, and earned his Ph.D. in Workforce Education and Development with an emphasis in adult learning. During his tenure at Indiana State University, Dr. McCaskey developed and coordinated an adult degree completion program for the Indiana State University (ISU) College of Technology. Based on his extensive aviation experience, he was selected to serve as the ISU interim Aviation Technology Department Chairperson which included the responsibility of providing ISU Flight Academy oversight.
Areas of Expertise:
- Career and Technical Education
- Adult Degree Completion Programs
- Doctor of Philosophy, Workforce Education and Development, 2009 - Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Master of Science, Workforce Education and Development, 2006 - Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Bachelor of Science, Aviation Management, 2004 - Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- CAPITOL TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY, Laurel, MD 2019
- Vice President for Academic Affairs
- INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY, Terre Haute, IN 2008-2019
- Associate Professor
- College of Technology (COT), Interim Associate Dean Student Services
- Director, COT Center for Workforce Education
- Interim Chairperson, Aviation Technology Department
- Program Coordinator:
- M.S. in Career and Technical Education
- Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) in Technology
- B.S. in Career Technical Education
- B.S. in Adult and Career Education (ACE)
- UNITED STATES NAVY, AVIATION 1984-2004
- P-3 Orion Flight Engineer Instructor
- C-130 Hercules Flight Engineer Instructor
- High Risk Instructor
- First Class Petty Officer Association Secretary, Vice President, and President
Certifications & Licenses
- FAA Airframes and Power Plant license
Professional Honors and Awards
- McCaskey, S. J., & Crowder C. L. (2015, June). American Association for the Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) Malcolm Knowles Award for Outstanding Adult Education Program Leadership, B.S. Degree in Adult and Career Education, Indiana State University, Oklahoma City, OK.
- Received, 2015 AAACE President’s Appreciation award for Exemplary Commitment and Service to AAACE, Oklahoma City, OK.
- Received, 2015 Omicron Tau Theta Distinguished Service Award as National President Elect 2007-2009, National President 2009-2013, and National Past President 2013-2015, New Orleans, LA.
- Received, 2014 AAACE Conference Service Letter of Appreciation
- Received, 2013 Omicron Tau Theta Outstanding Professional Service Award, Las Vegas, NV, National conference
- Received, 2011-2013 ACTE Region III Policy Committee Member award for dedicated leadership
- Received, 2011 ACTE Letter of Appreciation, Policy Committee Member
- Awarded, 2010 Association of CTE Region III Award of Merit
- Awarded, 2010 Omicron Tau Theta Outstanding Dissertation, November, 2010
- Awarded, 2007 Omicron Tau Theta Outstanding Thesis, December, 2007
- George and Dianna Williams Scholarship – Certificate of Honor from the Southern Illinois University Foundation and the College of Education and Human Services. Awarded: April 09, 2006.
Select Grants and Funded Scholarship Activity
- McCaskey, S.J., Harris, K., & Fell, A. (2018, October). FedEx scholarship to ISU for Professional Aviation Flight Technology majors earning their Certified Flight Instructor certificate. Total scholarships awarded: $500,000.
- McCaskey, S. J., Crossett, L., & Brauchle, K. (2010, November). Recipients of Indiana State University Strategic Plan, Goal THREE, Initiative TWO-b, Adult Degree completion program – B.S. in Adult and Career Education - marketing and promotion funding. Total funds awarded: $42,200.
Research and Select Refereed Publications
- Bergman, M., McCaskey, S. J. (2019, Number 7). An Examination of Prior Learning Assessment Participation and Guidance at Four-Year Universities. Submitted to: PLA Inside Out: SUNY Empire State College.
- Crowder, C. L., & McCaskey, S. J. (2016). Career readiness and development of career and technical education teachers. In M. Akdere & H. J. Yoon (Eds.), AHRD 2016 International Research Conference in Asia and MENA Proceedings. St. Paul, MN: AHRD.
- McCaskey, S. J., & Crowder, C. L. (2015, Summer). Reflection on One’s Own Teaching Style and Learning Strategy Can Effect the CTE Classroom. The CTE Journal: An International Peer Reviewed Career and Technical Education Online Journal, 3 (1), 2-12.
- McCaskey, S. J., & Crowder, C. L. (2015). Bachelor of Science in Adult and Career Education: Research Based Program to Meet the Needs of Non-traditional Students. Research to Practice conference proceedings.
- Waite, A. M., McCaskey, S. J., Eversole, B., Collins, D., & Gubelman, S. (2014). Talent Selection: Community Service and Social Change Behaviors and their Effects on Leadership Efficacy. University Forum for Human Resource Development (UFHRD) 2014 conference.
- McCaskey, S. J., & Arnett, S. E. (2012, Fall). Philosophical Teaching Style Continuum: Examination of Illinois Career and Technical Education Teachers’ Classroom Practices. Workforce Education Forum , 36(2), 1-17.
- Sum, V., McCaskey, S. J., & Kyeyune, C. (2010, May). A Survey Research of Satisfaction Levels of Graduate Students Enrolled in a Nationally Ranked Top-10 Program at a Mid-Western University. Research in Higher Education Journal,7(2), 1-17.
Offices Held and Obligations Performed in Professional Associations
- Accepted nomination, American Association for Adult and Continuing Education (AAACE) Board of Directors, 2014 – 2017
- Accepted nomination Omicron Tau Theta, National Past-President, 2013 – 2015
- Accepted two-year appointment, Journal of Career and Technical Education, Editorial Board, November, 2013 - 2015.
- Accepted nomination, National President, Omicron Tau Theta, November, 2012 - 2013
- Planned ACTE Region III conference, ISU, Terre Haute, IN, June 2011
- Accepted two-year appointment, Journal of Career and Technical Education, Editorial Board, November, 2011 - 2013.
- Accepted nomination, National President, Omicron Tau Theta, November, 2011 – 2012
- Accepted nomination, National President, Omicron Tau Theta, November, 2010 – 2011
- Accepted three-year appointment as ACTE Region III Representative, 2010 – 2013
- Accept nomination, National President, Omicron Tau Theta, November, 2009 – 2010
- Accepted two-year appointment, Legislative Committee Chairman for Indiana Association of Career and Technical Education, October, 2009 – 2011.
- Accepted two-year appointment, National Association of Career and Technical Education’s (ACTE) Resolution Committee, September, 2009 – 2011.
- Accepted two-year appointment, Journal of Career and Technical Education, Editorial Board, December, 2009 – 2011.
- Accepted nomination, National President-elect, Omicron Tau Theta, December, 2008 – 2009.
- Responsible, Omicron Tau Theta portion of 2008 and 2009 CTE Research and Professional Development Conference
- Elected, National President-Elect, Omicron Tau Theta, December, 2007 – 2008.
- Member, National OTT Long Range Planning Committee, March 2007 to January 2018
- Chaired, Two ACTER research sessions at 2007 ACTER conference in Las Vegas, NV
- Served, SIUC OTT Lambda Chapter President-Elect, 2006-2007
- Served, SIUC OTT Lambda Chapter Treasurer/Newsletter Editor, 2005-2006
- Awarded Air Medal Strike/Flight Award for Successful Completion of 28 Combat Missions
- Awarded Navy Commendation Medal for Leadership in the Naval Aircrew Program
- Awarded Navy Achievement Medal for Organizing/Implementing new Curriculum Division
- Awarded Navy Achievement Medal as Instructor Flight Engineer
- Awarded Navy Achievement Medal as Senior Flight Engineer
- Awarded Navy Achievement Medal for Unparalleled Mission Performance
- Awarded Aviation Warfare Specialist designation