Assistant Director of Communications
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Assistant Director of Communications is a member of the University communications team. The Assistant Director should be able to work independently and collaboratively to create branded digital and print materials that support the University’s enrollment and advancement goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following are primary duties:
- Develop graphic designs in support of a broad range of branded digital and printed materials.
- Develop digital templates to be used across the university (web and email)
- Assist Director of Communications in development of content for web and print materials.
- Assist the communications team in update, maintenance and archiving of visual assets.
- Assist communications team in website updates.
- Assist the communications team with photography of University events and general photography around campus
- Assist the communications team with video production as needed
- Assist the Director of Communications with design and layout of the University magazine, the Capitol Chronicle
- Execute the University social media plan by ensuring a minimum of three (3) updates per week.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, alumni and students to promote University programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- One to three years of hands-on design experience
- Ability to create artwork and graphics using Adobe products
- Photography skills; ability to take visually compelling photos; understanding of cameras, lenses and other equipment.
- Ability to apply photo editing/retouching techniques using Photoshop, including color and lighting adjustment, blending, layering and masking
- Ability to produce and edit videos
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to develop written content for different communications platforms.
- Working knowledge of social media, including Facebook and LinkedIn, as well as the use of web content management systems to enter and update online content.
- A degree in graphic design, communications, digital communications or similar strongly preferred
There are limited physical demands; however, this position requires sitting occasionally for extended periods of time, and repetitive motions for tasks such as operating a computer mouse and keyboard, and hearing and speaking on the telephone. The candidate must be able to lift, pull, bend, grasp, and occasionally lift up to 20 lbs.
An initial set of three months and one year goals will be established. The goals, in addition to this job description outlining the duties and qualifications, will be reviewed within three months and then yearly.