Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is academic advising? The purpose of academic advising is to help you design a plan of action that will assist you in achieving your academic goals while making sure you understand the objectives and requirements of Capitol Technology University.

2. What can I expect of my advisor? You can expect your advisor to help you:

  • register for classes
  • identify educational interests
  • select appropriate courses
  • explore a major that fits your interests
  • review the college's policies and procedures

3. What should he or she expect of me? Your advisor expects you to:

  • schedule appointments in advance and come prepared with your preferred courses and/or questions
  • become familiar with your degree tracking sheet, the course catalog and your degree program requirements
  • consult with the advisor when you experience academic difficulty
  • consult with the advisor when you want to change your major, pursue a double major or take courses at another college

4. How many classes do I need to take to be "full-time?" A full time undergraduate student is enrolled in 12 or more credits during a semester. If you are a graduate student who is enrolled in at least nine (9) credits during a 16-week semester, you are considered full-time. You are considered a part-time student if you do not meet these criteria.

5. What can I do if I am experiencing difficulty in my classes? Talk to your instructor as soon as possible. You can also make an appointment to meet with the advisor to discuss ways to enhance your study skills, time management skills and other skills needed for success in college. You can also visit the Tutoring Resource Center (TRC) in the library, where tutors are available to assist students in achieving their academic goals. These services are free to Capitol students.

6. What is a prerequisite? What is a co-requisite? A prerequisite is a course you must complete before being allowed to register for a more advanced course in the same or related area. A co-requisite is a course that you are required to take along with another course, or in some cases, taken before the course.

7. How do I change my major? If you want to change your major, meet with the advisor to discuss the impact that changing your major will have on your expected graduation date. You should then fill out a change of degree form which can be obtained in the Office of Registration and Records. The academic dean responsible for your intended degree program must approve all changes of the degree program. If you change your major, you are required to meet all requirements of the new program that are in effect at the time of your degree change. You must also complete all of the official documentation available in the Office of the Registration and Records.

8. How do I pursue double degrees? If you want to obtain double degrees, you are required to seek advising from an advisor, faculty member and/or the department dean. They will review your current tracking sheet and potential additional tracking sheet to consider the impact of an additional degree program on your expected graduation date. In addition, you should meet with the director of career services to validate your assumptions about career opportunities. These meetings can occur in person or via email for distance learners.

9. What is a tracking sheet, and where can I obtain one? A tracking sheet is a form that outlines all of the degree requirements for each major. Tracking sheets are available for all of the major degree areas that Capitol offers, and can be obtained online or in the dean's office.

10. I failed a course and I need to repeat it. What is the college's policy on repeating a course? You may repeat a course twice in order to improve a grade. You may take a specific course a maximum of three times during your academic career.

11. I received a D in EN-101. Can I take EN-102 next semester? You cannot take EN-102 next semester if you did not receive a passing grade in EN-101. EN-101 is a prerequisite for EN-102 and Capitol Technology University requires you to obtain a grade of C or better in prerequisites for degree-required courses. This is true for all courses that are prerequisites. Example 1: In order to take MA-261 - Calculus, you must achieve a grade of C or higher in MA-114 - Algebra & Trigonometry. Example 2: In order to take CS-130 - Computer Science, you need a C in CT-115 - Introduction to Programming, etc.