Retaining Aid Eligibility

All financial aid awards are subject to change. Below are just a few reasons why your financial aid awards can be changed or cancelled.

  • The Financial Aid Office becomes aware that you are receiving financial assistance from another institution or from sources outside the college, such as tuition assistance from employers, veterans' educational benefits or scholarship funds from an outside organization.

No students may receive financial aid in excess of their need as determined by the U.S. Department of Education. Receipt of outside assistance often can cause you to be over-awarded. In such cases, aid must be reduced or cancelled. It is your responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office if you receive any outside resources.

  • The U.S. Department of Education conducts database matches with several government agencies such as Social Security, Selective Service and Citizenship, Immigration Services and National Student Loan Database System. Your financial aid will not be processed until you have cleared any conflicts.
  • You could have your aid cancelled by failing to make satisfactory progress toward your degree. You must meet the progress standard by holding a minimum cumulative grade point average of 1.7 (if you attempted fewer than 30 semester-credit hours) or 2.0 (if you attempted at least 30 semester-credit hours or have completed your second academic year, whichever comes first). Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
  • You must successfully complete coursework within a time frame. These charts show the minimum number of semester-credit hours and years of study you must achieve to remain in good academic standing for financial aid. If you do not meet either the minimum GPA standard or credit hour requirement, you will be placed on one semester of financial aid probation. If you fail to meet standards after the probationary period, you will not be granted more financial aid. You can regain eligibility if you meet this standard in the future. You will be on probation for two consecutive semesters after regaining your financial aid eligibility.

If your financial aid eligibility status is terminated, you may appeal by submitting a written letter to the Financial Aid Office. The appeal will be reviewed by the college Financial Aid Appeals Committee. You will be notified in writing of the committee's decision.

Revised Award Letters
If additional information is received that changes your estimated financial need, a revised award letter will be sent to you. As with the first letter, one signed copy must be returned to the Financial Aid Office.