Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Construction Science
Earn a doctorate degree in Construction Science, advance both scholarly research and your career
The construction processes and building technology are rapidly becoming more complex. The pressures for increased revenue, lower costs, sustained profit margins, higher quality, Green Building, and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification are more demanding now in a competitive global environment than in the past. Leaders in the highest levels of construction companies are now being driven to develop new solutions and techniques to survive and thrive.
Capitol Technology University’s online PhD program in construction science is designed to provide industry professionals with the opportunity to conduct the in-depth research and investigation needed to develop solutions to a wide variety of industry needs. Through this research-based, online doctorate, you’ll engage quickly in research and publishing without the limitations inherent in traditional coursework models. While completing the program, you’ll aid in the advancement of the construction science industry through the creation of new knowledge and ideas. Graduates will be prepared for a variety of leadership roles in construction science, or for teaching roles in higher education.
As a doctoral student in construction science at Capitol Tech, you’ll enter the program with a research idea and at least a committee chair. After enrollment, you’ll work with your chair and research committee to develop further your research proposal. You’ll then work independently to produce a meaningful body of original research of publishable quality. In the process, you’ll also gain valuable insight into the legal, political, ethical, and social dimensions of your field of study.
This is a research based doctorate PhD degree where you will be assigned an academic supervisor almost immediately to guide you through your program and is based on mostly independent study through the entire program. It typically takes a minimum of two years but typically three years to complete if a student works closely with their assigned academic advisor. Under the guidance of your academic supervisor, you will conduct unique research in your chosen field before submitting a Thesis or being published in three academic journals agreed to by the academic supervisor. If by publication route it will require original contribution to knowledge or understanding in the field you are investigating.
As your PhD progresses, you move through a series of progression points and review stages by your academic supervisor. This ensures that you are engaged in a process of research that will lead to the production of a high-quality Thesis and/or publications and that you are on track to complete this in the time available. Following submission of your PhD Thesis or accepted three academic journal articles, you have an oral presentation assessed by an external expert in your field.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, with a faculty that includes many industrial and academic experts.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
The PhD program offers 2-degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in peer reviewed journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Prior Achieved Credits May Be Accepted
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2024-2025 academic year, beginning in Fall 2024 and continuing through Summer 2025:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $950. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- Information technology fee $40 per credit hour.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for doctoral programs.