Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Product Management
Earn a doctorate in Product Management, meet the industry demand for technological expertise
Product Management has undergone a tremendous transformation from its original application and practice as a particular company’s management of the marketplace appeal of a single, commercial brand. Now, at its highest levels, Product Management has expanded to include the application of new technology, not as an option, but as an imperative to remain competitive and viable.
Capitol Technology University’s online PhD in Product Management will prepare you, the business professional, to meet the challenges and maximize the opportunities presented by these sweeping changes. Through this research-based, online doctorate, students engage quickly in research and publishing without the limitations inherent in traditional coursework models. Graduates will be prepared for a variety of leadership roles in business management.
Your expertise will be in high demand among companies seeking to introduce new technologies while mitigating the risk that can accompany such transformations. You’ll be able to deliver solutions that can lower costs, streamline processes, and ensure the highest quality as your organization competes in the global marketplace. Through this uniquely designed doctoral program, you can undertake research that is specific to your professional needs and complete your degree while maintaining your career.
As a doctoral student in Product Management, you’ll enter the program with a research idea and at least a committee chair. After enrollment, you’ll work with your chair and research committee to further develop your research proposal. You’ll then work independently to produce a meaningful body of original research of publishable quality. In the process, you’ll also gain valuable insight into the legal, political, ethical, and social dimensions of your field of study.
This is a research based doctorate PhD degree where you will be assigned an academic supervisor almost immediately to guide you through your program and is based on mostly independent study through the entire program. It typically takes a minimum of two years but typically three years to complete if a student works closely with their assigned academic advisor. Under the guidance of your academic supervisor, you will conduct unique research in your chosen field before submitting a Thesis or being published in three academic journals agreed to by the academic supervisor. If by publication route it will require original contribution to knowledge or understanding in the field you are investigating.
As your PhD progresses, you move through a series of progression points and review stages by your academic supervisor. This ensures that you are engaged in a process of research that will lead to the production of a high-quality Thesis and/or publications and that you are on track to complete this in the time available. Following submission of your PhD Thesis or accepted three academic journal articles, you have an oral presentation assessed by an external expert in your field.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, with a faculty that includes many industrial and academic experts.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
Market demand for product management
Those who earn a Doctor of Philosophy in Product Management pursue careers such as:
- Senior Vice President, Product Management
- Product Management Senior Scientist
- Vice President, Channel and Product Management
- Managing Director, Product Line
- Corporate Product Management Officer
- Product Management Senior Strategist
- Business Development Consultant
The PhD program offers two degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in peer reviewed journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2022-2023 academic year, beginning in Fall 2022 and continuing through Summer 2023:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $933. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for PhD or DSc programs.
For 2023-2024 doctorate tuition and fees, click here.