Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Artificial Intelligence
Earn a doctorate degree in Artificial Intelligence, help lead innovation in a growing industry
The PhD Artificial Intelligence is centered upon how computers operate to match the human decision making process in the brain. Your research will be led by AI experts with both research and industrial expertise. This emerging subject is starting to attract attention on the wider issues as the IOT and other advanced computer systems work in our lives.
This is a research based doctorate PhD degree where you will be assigned an academic supervisor almost immediately to guide you through your program and is based on mostly independent study through the entire program. It typically takes a minimum of two years but typically three years to complete if a student works closely with their assigned academic advisor. Under the guidance of your academic supervisor, you will conduct unique research in your chosen field before submitting a Thesis or being published in three academic journals agreed to by the academic supervisor. If by publication route it will require original contribution to knowledge or understanding in the field you are investigating.
As your PhD progresses, you move through a series of progression points and review stages by your academic supervisor. This ensures that you are engaged in a process of research that will lead to the production of a high-quality Thesis and/or publications and that you are on track to complete this in the time available. Following submission of your PhD Thesis or accepted three academic journal articles, you have an oral presentation assessed by an external expert in your field.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, with a faculty that includes many industrial and academic experts.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
Dr. Ian McAndrew
Dean of Doctoral Programs
An internationally recognized leader in research and expert on low-speed flight, Dr. McAndrew has five degrees: a PhD, two master’s degrees and two bachelor’s degrees. He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society. Dr. McAndrew chairs several international conferences and journals and is invited to give keynote speeches all over the world. He started his career in the automotive industry as an engine designer, and has worked at several universities across the globe. Dr. McAndrew is Dean of doctoral programs at Capitol Technology University. An external examiner on the world wide stage (UK USA, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Japan, Australia, Greece and Kenya) his experience includes over 115 successful Doctorate successes.Contact Dr. Ian McAndrew
The PhD program offers 2 degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in high-impact journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Prior Achieved Credits May Be Accepted
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2021-2022 academic year, beginning in Fall 2021 and continuing through Summer 2022:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $933. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- High School and Community College faculty and staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for PhD or DSc programs.
For 2020-2021 doctorate tuition and fees, click here.