Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Engineering Management
Earn a doctorate degree in engineering management and meet the long-standing needs of the field by engaging in cutting-edge engineering research, leadership, and publishing.
Many industries are reporting significant workforce shortages of trained technical management personnel with a doctoral degree and experience in leading engineering organizations. Moreover, the shortage is growing each year with increasing demand in new engineering-related corporations and the annual departure of large cohorts of existing professionals who are reaching retirement age. This program is in response to that need. The PhD in Engineering Management degree is for new master's degree graduates and non-traditional students (i.e., experienced personnel) who desire to advance in their careers by gaining leadership skills in the industries related directly and indirectly to engineering and technology.
The PhD in Engineering Management is for current professionals or those with experience in the field of engineering design, manufacturing and service. Students will pursue a deep proficiency in this area using an interdisciplinary methodology, cutting-edge courses, and dynamic faculty. Graduates will contribute significantly to the Engineering Management field through the creation of new knowledge and ideas.
As your PhD progresses, you will move through a series of progression points and review stages by your academic supervisor. This ensures that you are engaged in a process of research that will lead to the production of a high-quality Thesis and/or publications and that you are on track to complete this in the time available. Following submission of your PhD Thesis or accepted three academic journal articles, you will have an oral presentation assessed by an external expert in your field.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, with a faculty that includes many industrial and academic experts.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
Market demand for engineering management expertise
Get the necessary credentials to take on a leadership role; become a researcher, speaker, author, or trusted expert; or enter higher education as a teaching professional.
A degree that is relevant to any and every organization
Graduates will contribute significantly to the engineering management field through the creation of new knowledge and ideas.
The PhD program offers 2-degree completion requirement options:
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will publish three works of original research in a scholarly peer-reviewed journal(s) of high stature. Two of the three published works may be in a peer reviewed conference proceeding if the conference is international and approved by the Dean. The student will produce an exegesis culminating the work for their defense. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Prior Achieved Credits May Be Accepted
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2024-2025 academic year, beginning in Fall 2024 and continuing through Summer 2025:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $950. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- Information technology fee $40 per credit hour.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for doctoral programs.