Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Sustainability
Earn a doctorate degree in Sustainability, help lead innovation in a growing industry
Tremendous career opportunities exist in multiple government agencies and industries who are reporting significant workforce shortages of technical management personnel with a doctoral degree and experience in sustainability and how to efficiently manage resources. Moreover, the shortage is growing each year. This program is in response to that need. The Ph.D. in Sustainability degree is for new doctoral graduates and non-traditional students (i.e., experienced personnel) who desire to advance in their careers by gaining senior level skills in government and industry related directly and indirectly to sustainability technologies.
Capitol Technology University’s online PhD in Sustainability degree is a unique program designed to meet the long-standing needs of managing our resources efficiently, effectively and with sustainability. This degree is not an environmental science degree or environmental in focus. The focus is technology in using science and technology is reducing resource demand, the reliability of what we use and the engineering to deliver on real improvements. Currently wind turbine blades only are usable for 10 years, then buried until a solution of how to recycle material is not able to be used with current knowledge. Sustainable means designing turbine blades to last considerably longer, using materials that can be recycled and supporting a net zero carbon environment.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, with a faculty that includes many industrial and academic experts.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
The PhD program offers 2 degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in peer reviewed journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Prior Achieved Credits May Be Accepted
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2022-2023 academic year, beginning in Fall 2022 and continuing through Summer 2023:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $933. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for PhD or DSc programs.
For 2023-2024 doctorate tuition and fees, click here.