Opportunities for Washington DC & Maryland STEM Internships AboundMarch 15, 2023
Washington DC and Maryland are technology hubs that offer a wide range of internship opportunities for students interested in STEM fields. These internships provide students with valuable experience and exposure to cutting-edge research and development in various industries, and allow them to learn valuable information for their future careers while still in school.
There are numerous organizations and companies that offer STEM internships in Washington DC and Maryland. Many of these organizations have partnerships with Capitol Technology University and favor Capitol students in their hiring processes. Here are some of the top opportunities to consider:
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) – NASA offers internships in various fields, including astronautical engineering, computer science, and physics. These internships provide students with the opportunity to work on real-world projects alongside NASA scientists and engineers. Many Capitol Tech students have participated in NASA's "RockOn!" payload construction program, which allows students and their professors to build and launch a real payload into space. Additionally, a large percentage of Capitol Tech graduates go on to work for NASA, one of those students being Scarlin Hernandez, who works as a spacecraft engineer and contributed significantly to the James Webb telescope mission.
- Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) – APL offers internships in engineering, physics, and computer science. Students can work on real-world projects and gain experience in a dynamic research environment. Several members of the APL serve as advisory board members for Capitol Cyber Lab.
- The National Security Agency (NSA) – The NSA offers paid internships for students in the areas of cybersecurity, data analytics, computer science, and more. Capitol Tech has a close, ongoing relationship with the NSA; the two have a partnership that provides degree opportunities for NSA employees, and the agency has designated Capitol as a National Center of Academic Excellence.
- Northrop Grumman – Northrop Grumman offers internships in fields such as engineering, computer science, cybersecurity, manufacturing, and more. These internships provide students with the opportunity to work with experienced professionals and gain hands-on experience in one of the world’s largest weapons manufacturer and defense industry partners. Northrop Grumman is also familiar with Capitol Tech students, as the organization contributed multiple times to the school's labs.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) - NIST is a government agency that conducts research in fields such as materials science, engineering, and physics. They offer internship and fellowship opportunities for students interested in working in the materials science, cybersecurity, product management and related fields.
There are abundant opportunities for students in the DC/metro area to find quality internships in STEM fields, and Capitol Tech’s mission is to help students achieve the roles of their dreams. With many close relationships with tech industry giants like the ones mentioned above, Capitol Tech goes to great lengths to ensure students get seen by the nation’s top tech employers.