Bachelor of Science (BS) in Unmanned and Autonomous Systems
Earn a bachelor of science in unmanned and autonomous systems
With more and more companies relying on video, data and information from unmanned systems, the demand for skilled designers, maintainers, and operators is expected to grow exponentially.
The Bachelor of Science in Unmanned and Autonomous Systems provides students with the necessary knowledge to become a professional in the field. The program provides a foundation in flight operations, mission planning, special sensors, weapons, surveillance and data collection, aeronautical technologies and ground control. Students design, construct, and fly an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). Students can become certified Unmanned Aerial Systems Operators, and gain the knowledge and skills to support governmental and commercial employers.
Our bachelor’s degree in unmanned and autonomous systems provides a firm foundation in unmanned and autonomous systems flight operations, mission planning, special sensors, weapons, surveillance and data collection, aeronautical engineering, aeronautical technologies, and ground control.
Currently, the most common uses of unmanned and autonomous systems are in aerial inspections, aerial surveys, agricultural, aviation, civil, constructions, disaster relief, engineering, environmental research, film/TV, government, law enforcement, photography and videography, real estate, and utility inspection. However, companies in retail goods (such as Amazon), mining, wildlife research and management are already planning to make unmanned systems an integral part of their operations. Potential employers include Boing, Booz Allen Hamilton, NASA, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Department of Defense, Amazon, Department of Transportation, and many others.
The program provides fundamental unmanned and autonomous systems knowledge to enter the careers such as:
- System Architecture Maritime Autonomous Solutions – median base pay, $101,0002
- Systems Engineer - Mission Systems Autonomy – median base pay, $92,0003
- Systems Engineer- Unmanned Underwater Vehicles – median base pay, $80,2003
- Systems Engineer - Unmanned Systems – ranked 27th Best Job in America1
- Basic Aeromechanics for small Unmanned Air Systems (sUAS) – median base pay, $60,5002
Capitol Technology University has assembled a network of our nation’s top experts to educate you—the new generation of aviation and unmanned systems planners, architects, designers, engineers, and operators. This network includes the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), a British organization dedicated to the global aerospace community and the professional development of its members. As a corporate partner of RAeS, the university is able to provide the opportunity for international networking, debate, resources, and professional development.
1. Data based upon Glassdoor’s 2020 50 Best Jobs in America
2. Salary based upon 2020 Glassdoor salary data
3. Salary based upon 2020 PayScale salary data
Our location puts you in the heart of the action
The Baltimore/ Washington D.C. area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies, defense contractors, and government agencies in the United States, making it easier to find internships and high-paying jobs.
Our motto, ‘find a way, or make one’ delivers job ready skills
Hands-on classes, combined with case studies and group projects help you hone the skills needed to excel in the workplace.
Capitol Tech Opportunities
You have the chance to showcase your classroom knowledge in your capstone project, which is required for graduation. Here, you’ll propose and design an unmanned system.
Team-Oriented, Multidisciplinary Projects
Professionals from all backgrounds collaborate in the real-world, so we’ve structured our labs to operate the same way. Students majoring in electrical engineering, cybersecurity, astronautical engineering and others all form teams to collaborate, trouble-shoot and explore what’s possible in our labs.
Unmanned Systems Lab
Learn to program a swarm of drones, get hands on experience working with peers and industry practitioners to solve real-world problems in disaster management, homeland security, law enforcement, journalism, insurance, media, telecommunications, and more.
We understand that our students need hands-on experience. That’s why we partner with corporations and defense contractors, including; Textron Systems, a manufacturer and operator of numerous unmanned systems.
Live and learn at the heart of Washington, D.C. which is the hub for unmanned defense industry. Within an hour of the campus, you can attend conferences, summits, workshops, and trade shows; you can interview for summer internships; and you can visit trade groups, think tanks, and organizations.
Dr. Richard Baker
Associate Dean of Graduate Programs
Dr. Richard Baker is Associate Dean of Graduate Programs at Capitol Technology University. He previously served as associate professor in Indiana State University’s Department of Aviation Technology, and as executive director of the Center for Unmanned Systems and Human Capital Development. Richard holds a BS in mathematics and an MS in computer science from Indiana State University. He received his doctorate in information systems from Nova Southeastern University.Contact Dr. Richard Baker
The Capitol Commitment
We’ve created a game plan to make sure you find a job upon graduation. Learn more.
Market Demand Unmanned and Autonomous Systems
- 82% of our graduates have a job or enter graduate school 90 days after commencement
- The Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and Maryland Accountability document, “A Report Connected to the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Research Development, Regulation and Privacy Act of 2015,” notes that there will be a move from engineers in this job category to unmanned systems educated individuals who have the hands-on experience desired!
The BS in Unmanned and Autonomous Systems degree is a total of 122 credits.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2021-2022 academic year, beginning in Fall 2021 and continuing through Summer 2022:
- There is no charge for online application, $25 fee for paper application
- Full-time tuition is $12,915 per semester, plus fees
- The active duty military tuition rate is $250 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- The retired military tuition rate is $746 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- All full-time students who keep their student account current are promised their tuition will not increase more than 1% per year for four years
- For the cost of living in Capitol Technology University's modern residential facility, click here
- Academic Fee for UAS-120 $500
For 2021-2022 undergraduate tuition and fees, click here.