Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Counterterrorism
Earn an online doctoral degree in counterterrorism, protect the nation's future
The PhD in Counterterrorism program provides students with the opportunity to conduct extensive and sustained, original research at the highest level in the field of counterterrorism. This degree is designed to meet the demands of the highest-skilled professionals to become leaders who will be involved in the advancement, expansion, and support of the counterterrorism environment on a large and small scale. The PhD in Counterterrorism is for current professionals in the field who desire to elevate their skills to the highest level and to contribute to the body of knowledge in counterterrorism. This program is designed as a doctorate by research where students will quickly become able to engage in leadership, research, and publishing.
Under the dissertation option, the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student's Committee and the PhD Review Board. Under the publication option, the student will produce, present, and defend their original doctoral research after receiving the required approvals from the student's Committee and the PhD Review Board. The student must also publish three works of original research in a scholarly peer reviewed journal(s) of high stature.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, with a faculty that includes many industrial and academic experts.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
The PhD program offers 2 degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in high-impact journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Prior Achieved Credits May Be Accepted
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2022-2023 academic year, beginning in Fall 2022 and continuing through Summer 2023:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $933. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for PhD or DSc programs.
For 2023-2024 doctorate tuition and fees, click here.