Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Technology
Earn a doctorate degree in technology, advance both scholarly research and your career
The Doctor of Philosophy in Technology provides students with the opportunity to conduct extensive and sustained original research in technology.
This degree program prepares students to take on roles as leaders in their chosen fields of technology, become researchers, or enter higher education as teaching professionals. Graduates will contribute significantly to their fields through the creation of new knowledge and ideas. Further, through this research-based doctorate, students engage quickly in research and publishing without the need to navigate the limitations inherent in traditional coursework models.
Students enter the program with a research idea and at least a Committee Chair. Students begin their path to success at Capitol Technology University by working with their research committee to further develop their research proposal. Under the guidance to the committee students work independently to produce a meaningful body of original research of publishable quality. The program will equip students with knowledge of the legal, political, ethical, and social dimensions of their field of research.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Technology is offered in three formats.
- The first pathway is for those who enter the program having completed an appropriate Master’s degree.
- The second pathway is for those who enter without a completed Master’s degree. Students entering without a Master’s complete the Masters of Science in Research Methods along with the PhD.
- The third pathway is for those who earned doctoral credits at another institution and wish to complete their degree at Capitol. Applicants will be interviewed by the Dean of Doctoral Programs and may transfer up to 42 credits and complete the research work in the area of focus.
Our location puts you in the heart of the action
The Baltimore/Washington D.C. area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies, defense contractors, and government agencies in the United States, making it easier to find internships and high-paying jobs.
Learn around your busy schedule
Our low residency requirement takes in consideration the time commitment of your established career.
Our classes are taught by working professionals
Capitol’s faculty are working professionals in the field – subject matter experts who apply their knowledge on a daily basis and are up to speed on emerging developments.
Dr. Ian McAndrew
Dr. McAndrew has five degrees, PhD, two Master’s and two bachelor’s degrees, he is a Professional Engineer and a member of several institutions. He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and recognized as an international leader in Aerodynamics research. He Chairs several international conferences and Journals and is invited to give keynote speeches all over the world. He started his career in the automotive industry where he was an engine designer (Thermodynamics), and has worked at several universities in Europe and all over the world. His main passion is supervising PhD students and has over 30 PhD successes.
Dr. Helen G. Barker
Vice President of Academic Affairs
Dr. Helen Barker is an educator in the areas of management and organization, personnel and human resources, quantitative analysis, and operations management. She spent 15 years working in the private sector as a management analyst and resource training specialist in the distribution industry. In addition, she worked with the Northern Virginia Regional Partnership through Virginia Tech as an economic development analyst. She has a master’s in business management from Strayer University and a D.M. concentrating in organizational leadership from University of Phoenix. Currently, the VP of Academic Affairs for Capitol, Dr. Barker continues her research in distance education and educational technologies.
Market demand for technology
Get the necessary credentials to take on roles as leaders in their chosen fields of technology, become researchers, or enter higher education as teaching professionals.
A degree that is relevant to any and every organization
Graduates will contribute significantly to the fields of technology through the creation of new knowledge and ideas.
The PhD program offers 2 degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in high-impact journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change without notice.
The following rates are in effect for the 2018-2019 academic year, beginning in Fall 2018 and continuing through Summer 2019:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $893. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- The entrance exam fee is $100