Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Technology
Earn a doctorate degree in technology, advance both scholarly research and your career
The Doctor of Philosophy in Technology provides students with the opportunity to conduct extensive and sustained original research in technology.
This degree program prepares students to take on roles as leaders in their chosen fields of technology, become researchers, or enter higher education as teaching professionals. Graduates will contribute significantly to their fields through the creation of new knowledge and ideas. Further, through this research-based doctorate, students engage quickly in research and publishing without the need to navigate the limitations inherent in traditional coursework models.
Students enter the program with a research idea and at least a Committee Chair. Students begin their path to success at Capitol Technology University by working with their research committee to further develop their research proposal. Under the guidance to the committee students work independently to produce a meaningful body of original research of publishable quality. The program will equip students with knowledge of the legal, political, ethical, and social dimensions of their field of research.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Technology is offered in three formats.
- The first pathway is for those who enter the program having completed an appropriate Master’s degree.
- The second pathway is for those who enter without a completed Master’s degree. Students entering without a Master’s complete the Masters of Science in Research Methods along with the PhD.
- The third pathway is for those who earned doctoral credits at another institution and wish to complete their degree at Capitol. Applicants will be interviewed by the Dean of Doctoral Programs and may transfer up to 42 credits and complete the research work in the area of focus.
Our location puts you in the heart of the action
The Baltimore/Washington D.C. area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies, defense contractors, and government agencies in the United States, making it easier to find internships and high-paying jobs.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Our classes are taught by working professionals
Capitol’s faculty are working professionals in the field – subject matter experts who apply their knowledge on a daily basis and are up to speed on emerging developments.
Dr. Ian McAndrew
Dean of Doctoral Programs
An internationally recognized leader in research and expert on low-speed flight, Dr. McAndrew has five degrees: a PhD, two master’s degrees and two bachelor’s degrees. He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society. Dr. McAndrew chairs several international conferences and journals and is invited to give keynote speeches all over the world. He started his career in the automotive industry as an engine designer, and has worked at several universities across the globe. Dr. McAndrew is Dean of doctoral programs at Capitol Technology University. An external examiner on the world wide stage (UK USA, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Japan, Australia, Greece and Kenya) his experience includes over 115 successful Doctorate successes.Contact Dr. Ian McAndrew
Dr. Richard Baker
Associate Dean of Graduate Programs
Dr. Richard Baker is Associate Dean of Graduate Programs at Capitol Technology University. He previously served as associate professor in Indiana State University’s Department of Aviation Technology, and as executive director of the Center for Unmanned Systems and Human Capital Development. Richard holds a BS in mathematics and an MS in computer science from Indiana State University. He received his doctorate in information systems from Nova Southeastern University.
Dr. Michael E Johnson
Dr. Johnson has held multiple position in computer security and communications with both state and federal government. He joined Boeing in the commercial aviation division back in 2013 and worked on the 787 program along with several automated manufacturing systems. He was recruited to the space division in 2019 to assist with the day-to-day operations on the ISS and the program support.
Market demand for technology
Get the necessary credentials to take on roles as leaders in their chosen fields of technology, become researchers, or enter higher education as teaching professionals.
A degree that is relevant to any and every organization
Graduates will contribute significantly to the fields of technology through the creation of new knowledge and ideas.
The PhD program offers 2 degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in high-impact journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2022-2023 academic year, beginning in Fall 2022 and continuing through Summer 2023:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $933. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for PhD or DSc programs.
For 2022-2023 doctorate tuition and fees, click here.