Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Unmanned Systems Applications
Earn a doctorate degree in Unmanned Systems Applications, advance both scholarly research and your career
The Doctor of Philosophy in Unmanned Systems Applications provides students with the opportunity to conduct extensive and sustained original research in unmanned systems.
This degree program prepares students to take on roles as leaders, become researchers, or enter higher education as teaching professionals.Graduates will contribute significantly to their fields through the creation of new knowledge and ideas. Further, through this research-based doctorate, students engage quickly in research and publishing without the need to navigate the limitations inherent in traditional coursework models.
Students enter the program with a research idea and at least a Committee Chair. Students begin their path to success at Capitol Technology University by working with their research committee to further develop their research proposal. Under the guidance of the committee, students work independently to produce a meaningful body of original research of publishable quality. The program will equip students with knowledge of the legal, political, ethical, and social dimensions of their field of research.
Capitol Technology University has assembled a network of our nation’s top experts to educate you—the new generation of aviation and unmanned systems planners, architects, designers, engineers, and operators. This network includes the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), a British organization dedicated to the global aerospace community and the professional development of its members. As a corporate partner of RAeS, the university is able to provide the opportunity for international networking, debate, resources, and professional development.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
The Baltimore/Washington D.C. area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies, defense contractors, and government agencies in the United States, making it easier to find internships and high-paying jobs.
Learn around your busy schedule
Program is 100% online, with no on-campus classes or residencies required, allowing you the flexibility needed to balance your studies and career.
Our classes are taught by working professionals
Capitol’s faculty are working professionals in the field – subject matter experts who apply their knowledge on a daily basis and are up to speed on emerging developments.
Market demand for unmanned systems applications
Get the advanced education needed to become a UAS program analyst, business development manager, risk manager or policy specialist.
- The UAS and Maryland Accountability document reports these jobs will be in demand.
A degree that is relevant to any and every organization
Graduates will contribute significantly to their fields in unmanned systems applications through the creation of new knowledge and ideas.
Degree Details: Beginning in Spring 2019
The program offers 2 degree completion requirement options.
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in peer reviewed journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2024-2025 academic year, beginning in Fall 2024 and continuing through Summer 2025:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $950. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- Information technology fee $40 per credit hour.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for doctoral programs.