Conner, Dr. Charles
Chair of Engineering
Dr. Charles (Chuck) Conner is Chair of Engineering at Capitol Technology University. He previously served as both an adjunct and full-time professor of Engineering at Capitol Technology University and has been instrumental in securing numerous ABET accreditations for the University.
Dr. Conner has worked in industry and academia since 1980. Recently, he was a Staff Scientist for the Space Science Center of Morehead State University, working on control and communications software for small satellites. He also developed software and hardware for the DM7 mission, which recorded data from the International Space Station, as well as software for the core Flight System (cFS) and the AMMOS Instrumentation Toolkit (AIT) for the Lunar IceCube mission.
Over Dr. Conner’s career, he has worked as a Software, Electronics Design, and Communications Engineer in academia and industry. He specializes in digital signal and image processing. He is an expert in DSP Assembly/C++/MATLAB/Octave simulation, design, and implementation of signal processing tasks. He has developed Linux systems from scratch and written Linux modules and device drivers which communicate with serial, parallel and USB ports. He has experience using Verilog and VHDL digital design. He has also developed many interactive web sites (some of which operate external hardware) using Java/XML/Perl/Python/C++ and assembly language on Solaris and Apache web servers.
Dr. Conner also takes an active interest in astronomy, machine work, PC board construction, and Morse code.
Dr. Conner holds a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (B.S.E.E.) and Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (M.S.E.E) from the University of Maryland. He received his doctorate in Electrical Engineering from the Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
Areas of Expertise:
Electronic communications systems
Signal image processing
Web site development
Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, The Catholic University of America
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (magna cum laude), University of Maryland
Research & Publications
- Charles D. Conner, Nader M. Namazi and Ignacio Perez, "Thermographic Defect Detection From Noisy Images," Proc. of IASTED International Conference on Signal and Image Processing, SIP-96, Orlando, Fl., November 1996.
- Charles D. Conner and Nader M. Namazi, "Thermographic Defect Detection and Classification Using the EM Algorithm," Proc. of ICIP International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP-97, Santa Barbara, California, October 1997.
- Charles D. Conner, and Nader M. Namazi, "Thermographic Defect Detection Using a Likelihood Ratio Test," Proc. of IASTED International Conference on Signal and Image Processing, SIP-97, New Orleans, December 1997.
- Charles D. Conner, and Nader M. Namazi, "Recursive Estimator for Systems Described by Partial Differential Equations," Proc. of IASTED International Conference on Signal and Image Processing, SIP-97, Nassau, October 1999.
- Nader M. Namazi, Ray Burris, Charles Conner, Charmaine Gilbreath, William Scharpf, “Synchronization and Detection of Binary Data in Free-Space Optical Communication Systems Using Haar Wavelet Transformation,” SPIE Conference, Denver, Colorado, August 2004.
- Nader M. Namazi, Ray Burris, Charles Conner, Charmaine Gilbreath, William Scharpf, “Synchronization and Detection of Binary Data in Free-Space Optical Communication Systems Using Haar Wavelet Transformation,” Journal of Optical Engineering, 2006.
- Ozlem Kilic, Miaoqing Huang, Charles Conner and Mark Mirotznik, “Hardware Accelerated Design of Millimeter Wave Antireflective Surfaces,” ACES Conference, Tampere, Finland, 2010.
Organizations & Affiliations
- The Catholic University of America
- University of Maryland
- Morehead State University
- Alpha-Chi Honor Society
- Laurel Linux Users’ Group
Honors and Awards
- Winner of the Alpha-Chi Honor Society's Esteemed Professor Award, 1997, 2000, 2011 and 2012
- Outstanding Service to Capitol College, 2011, 2012
- Included in the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Editions of Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- Included in the Tenth Edition of Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- Included in the 2006 Edition of Who’s Who in Engineering Education
- Awarded Outstanding Service to the Space Operations Institute, 2003
- Faculty Advisor, Outstanding Student Chapter of the Year, Region 2, IEEE, 2004