Dr. Mohamed Shehata
Dr. Mohamed Shehata is an engineering faculty member at Capitol Technology University. He earned his MS and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, in 1985 and 1989, respectively. He received his BS degree in Electrical Machines and Power Engineering from Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt in 1980.
Shehata has more than 35 years of experience as an electrical engineering professor in curriculum and lab development, classroom instruction, online teaching, project activities, research, and establishing collaboration with industry. He designed and developed several labs in the universities where he worked, such as Renewable Energy Labs (2017-2019) , Photonic Laboratory (2017), Process Control Lab (1997), and Power Electronics Lab (1992). He helped in creating new programs such as BS program in mechatronics at Helwan University and MS program in renewable energy at Effat University (EU) in Saudi Arabia. He was the director of the Master of Science in Energy Engineering for two years (2017-2019) at EU.
In 2012, Dr. Shehata collaborated with Cummins (in Dubai) on a six-sigma project “ the skills gap”. His partnership with Cummins resulted in providing internship and employment opportunities for the graduates and sponsoring the first diesel engine lab at EU. In 2014, he was the co-principal investigator in grant research ($225,000) to design a driver and controller for solid-state laser diodes ( 2014-1018) at KAUST, Saudi Arabia.
His current research interests are centered on improving the performance of sliding mode control and its applications to power converters, power systems, and electric drives.
Areas of Expertise:
- Information Systems
- Aviation Management
- Unmanned systems
- Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, Power Electronics, Purdue University (1989)
- Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Power Electronics, Purdue University (1985)
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical Power Engineering, Helwan University (1980)
- Updated the curriculum of ECE program in Effat university, 2011
- Developed the curriculum of Master of Science program in Energy Engineering in Effat university, 2015
- Developed the curriculum of Mechatronics in Helwan university, 2004
- Supervised the first national accreditation (NCAAA) for electrical engineering program in Effat university, 2011
- Prepared for the ABET accreditation for electrical engineering program in Effat university, 2013.
- Developed Energy Lab in Effat university (KSA) funded by Cummins Inc., 2017
- Developed the Photonic Lab in Effat university (KSA) funded by KAUST, 2017
- Developed the Automatic Control Laboratories at Effat University, 2011
- Designed the first Capstone Project Handbook for Effat university, 2012
- Designed The Electronics Lab Handbook in MSA university (Egypt), 2007
- Developed the first Industrial Control Lab in Riyadh college of technology, 1997
- Developed the first Power Electronics Lab in Helwan university (Egypt), 1991
- Supervised the collaboration between Greenwich University (England) and electrical engineering program in MSA University (Egypt), 2008-2010
- Managed the collaboration between Duke University (USA) and electrical engineering program in Effat university (KSA), 2011-2013.
- Established the collaboration with Cummins Inc. (Dubai) and electrical engineering program in Effat university (KSA), 2011-2019.
- Held a workshop for Saudi electric Company on frequency control, 2010
- Held a workshop for The Algerian Cement Company on Power saving, 2008
- Held a workshop for The Egyptian Cement Company on Electric Drives, 2006
Participated in supervising formula SAE team IN Georgia Southern University, 2021 Formed the first women Robot team in Effat University (KSA), 2016. Formed the first women Underwater ROV team in Effat University (KSA), 2017. Formed the first Robot team in Helwan university (Egypt), 2006 Supervised IEEE/WIE chapter at Effat University (2011-2013) supervised IEEE Student Chapter and WIE in MSA University (2006-2010)
Chaired sessions in different conferences such as “Learning and Technology 2016” Conference- Reviewed several papers in the area of power electronics and sliding mode control
Research & Publications
- Mohammed A. Majid, Ahmad A. Al-Jabr, Rami T. El Afandy, Hassan M. Oubei, Dalaver H. Anjum, Mohamed Shehata, Tien K. Ng, Boon S. Ooi, "Large intermixing in the InGaP/InAlGaP laser structure using stress engineering at elevated temperature," Proc. SPIE 10939, Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers XVIII, 109390L (1 March 2019)
- M. G. Shehata, T. Brahimi, A. Bensenouci,” Design of a Solar-Powered e-Library at Effat University Campus, “International Conference on industrial Applications of Engineering Science, ICIAES 2019, Dubai, UAE, 15th of March, 2019.
- Mohammed A. Majida, Ahmad A. Al-Jabra, Rami T. Elafandya, Hassan M. Oubeia, Mohd S. Aliasa, Bayan A. Alnahhasb, , Dalaver H. Anjumc, , Tien Khee. Nga, , Mohamed. Shehatab and Boon S. Ooi, “First demonstration of orange-yellow light emitter devices in InGaP/InAlGaP laser structure using strain-induced quantum well intermixing technique,” Novel In-Plane Semiconductor Lasers XV, edited by Alexey A. Belyanin, Peter M. Smowton, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 9767, 97670A , 2016
- Mokhtar Aboelaze, Osama El_Debb, Ahmed El-Bayoumi Mansour, and Mohamed Ghazy Shehata , “FPGA Implementation of a Satellite Attitude Control using Variable Structure Control,” Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Computer Science and Engineering. (MIC-Computing 2014), Milan, Italy: 15-17 August 2014
- Ahmed Bensenouci and Mohamed Ghazy Shehata, “Optimized FOPID Control of a Single Link Flexible Manipulator (SLFM) Using Genetic Algorithm,” Proc. Of the 3rd International Conference on Mechanics and Control Engineering (ICMCE 2014), North Carolina, USA: 26-28 October 2014.
- Aboelaze, Mokhtar; Mohaghegh, Navid; Shehata, Mohamed Ghazy,” Response Time Control for Web Servers under Realistic Traffic Patterns,” International Conference on Computer Systems and Industrial Informatics (ICCSII), 2012
- M. A. Ghazy, H. M. Shehata, “State-Feedback Control for Unmanned Air Vehicle,” 1st International Conference in Electrical Engineering and Computer Systems (ECSE’10), Egypt, November, 2010
- Omar H. Abdalla, Mohammed A. E. Ghazy and Nermeen A. M. Hassan, “Stability Analysis of a Unified Power Flow Controller,”13th International Middle East Power Systems Conference, Egypt, December 20-23, 2009
- H. M. Shehata, M. A.Ghazy, and G. M. El-Bayoumi, "Piecewise Linear Model of Unmanned Air Vehicles", 2nd International Conference on Advanced Control Circuits and Systems (ACCS’08), Egypt, March 30 – April 2, 2008
- M. M. Neam, F. F. El-Sousy, M.A. Ghazy and M. A. Abu-Adma,"The dynamic Performance of an isolated self-excited induction generator driven by a variable speed wind turbine,” ICCEP 2007, Italy, vol. I, pp.536-543, May 2007.
- M. M. Neam, F. F. EL-Sousy, M. A. Ghazy and M. A. Abu-Adma," Intelligent Control for DC bus Voltage of Three-Phase AC/DC PWM Converters," POWERENG 2007, Setubal, Portugal, vol. I, pp. 311-317, April 2007.
- M. M. Neam, F. F. El-Sousy, M.A. Ghazy and M. A. Abu-Adma,"The dynamic Performance of an isolated self-excited induction generator driven by a variable speed wind turbine,” MEPCON 2006, El Minia, Egypt, vol. I, pp.167-174, Dec. 2006.
- Mohamed A. Ghazy, Amr M. Amin, “Self-Tuned Dither Control of Buck Converter,” The 27th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Denver, CO, USA November 29 – Dec. 2, 2001.
Organizations & Affiliations
- IEEE Membership
- IEEE Power Electronics Society Membership
- IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) Membership