Master of Science (MS) in Occupational Safety and Health
Earn a Master's of Science in Occupational Safety and Health, meet the industry demand for expertise
With a degree in occupational safety and health, you'll understand the requirements of what it takes for wide range of safety careers. You will acquire a strong foundation in safety, risk management, and management skills.
This program is offered completely online, in an 8 week format.
The Masters of Science in Occupational Safety and Health is recognized as a Qualified Academic Program (QAP) by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP), meeting the qualified credential requirement for the Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification.
What does it mean to be a Qualified Academic Program (QAP)?
A QAP is a bachelors, masters, or PhD academic degree program in safety, health, and the environment (SH&E) whose required course curriculum has been reviewed by BCSP and has been found to be a substantial match to the current Associate Safety Professional® (ASP®) examination blueprint.
Graduates of a QAP are eligible to apply for the Graduate Safety Practitioner® (GSP®), a BCSP-approved credential necessary to apply for the Certified Safety Professional® (CSP®). It is only available to SH&E graduates from degree programs which meet BCSP QAP standards.
What are the benefits to a student who becomes a GSP?
- Recognition for the level of preparation for professional safety practice.
- Recognition for being on a path toward the CSP certification.
- A waiver of the ASP examination requirement for CSP eligibility.
- A certificate awarding the GSP designation.
- Inclusion in the BCSP Credential Holder Directory and a digital badge.
- Access to the BCSP Career Center.(https://www.bcsp.org/GSP)
Our location is a magnet for top faculty
The Baltimore/Washington area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies and contractors. Since many of our faculty are currently working in the field, you’re taught up-to-date strategies and best practices from the world’s top practitioners.
Program is 100% Online
Our master’s in occupational safety and health is offered 100% online. Once you are accepted, all you need is an Internet connection and you can attend class. We keep the classes small so you receive personalized attention from faculty who are interested in sharing their knowledge and helping you succeed.
Capitol Tech Opportunities
You’ll work with faculty mentors to develop a major construction leadership project that demonstrates your mastery of construction safety knowledge.
Market Demand for Occupational Safety and Health
Graduates with the M.S. in Occupational Safety and Health degree will be expected to fill mid-level to upper-level management positions in existing government organizations and private companies. The job titles include:
- Regional Safety Manager
- Facilities Safety Manager
- Construction Safety Manager
- Safety Compliance Manager
- Construction Site Safety Manager
- Corporate Safety Program Manager
To apply to a graduate degree program, you should have completed a bachelor's degree or be completing a bachelor's degree prior to enrollment and should have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2022-2023 academic year, beginning in Fall 2022 and continuing through Summer 2023:
- The per credit charge for graduate courses:
- Online or satellite campus (per credit) - $630, plus fees (information technology and other applicable fees)
- Independent study (per credit) - $877, plus fees (information technology and other applicable fees)
- The active duty military tuition rate is $350 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- The retired military tuition rate is $530 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- There is no charge for online application, $40 fee for paper application
For 2023-2024 masters tuition and fees, click here.