Bachelor of Science (BS) in Data Science
The bachelor of science (BS) in data science provides the key preparation for a career as a data scientist or machine learning engineer:
- Data scientist – median base pay, $108,000, ranked 1st in best jobs in the nation1
- Data scientist – Harvard Business Review calls “sexiest job of the 21st century”2
- Machine learning engineer – average base pay, $121,0003
- Data engineer – median base pay, $100,000, ranked 8th best job in the nation1
Earn your degree in the heart of one of the world’s most important technology hubs surrounded by world-renowned government agencies, tech company headquarters and key technology users in government, healthcare, defense, space and professional services.
With the university’s strong links with large and small DC-area employers, who have an un-met demand for high technology graduates, we aim to connect our outstanding graduates to these employers and awaiting opportunities.
1 Data based upon Glassdoor’s 2019 50 Best Jobs in America
2 Davenport, T. & Patil, D.J. Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century, Harv Bus Rev, Oct 2012.
3 Salary based upon 2019 Glassdoor salary data
Our location puts you in the heart of the action.
The Baltimore/Washington D.C. area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies, defense contractors, and government agencies in the United States, making it easier to find internships and high-paying jobs.
Leading employers of business analysts, including SAS and government agencies, have partnered with Capitol to provide students an understanding of the current and future trends in the field and highlight career paths in business analytics and data science.
Capitol Tech Opportunities
You have the chance to showcase your classroom knowledge in your capstone project, which is required for graduation. Depending on your major, this could be writing a report and giving an oral presentation or building, designing and testing a working prototype.
Team-Oriented, Multidisciplinary Projects
Professionals from all backgrounds collaborate in the real-world, so we’ve structured our labs to operate the same way. Students majoring in electrical engineering, cybersecurity, astronautical engineering and others all form teams to collaborate, trouble-shoot and explore what’s possible in our labs.
Dr. Robert J. Steele
Chair and Professor, Computer Science
Dr. Robert Steele serves as Chair and Professor of Computer Science. He holds a doctorate in Computer Science, has authored more than 140 peer-reviewed publications, and his work has been patented and successfully commercialized. He also has extensive administrative experience in large, complex and leading institutions nationally and internationally and at all levels of program leadership, curriculum development and teaching.Contact Dr. Robert J. Steele
The Capitol Commitment
We’ve created a game plan to make sure you find a job upon graduation. Learn more.
Market Demand Business Analytics & Data Science
- McKinsey predicts a 50 to 60 percent gap between supply and demand of analytic talent for business and data science analysis
- 82% of our graduates have a job or enter graduate school 90 days after commencement
The B.S. in Data Science degree is a total of 122 credits, which covers business management, business analytics, mathematics and sciences, English and social science courses.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2019-2020 academic year, beginning in Fall 2019 and continuing through Summer 2020:
- There is no charge for online application, $25 fee for paper application
- Full-time tuition is $12,662 per semester, plus fees
- The active duty military tuition rate is $250 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- Retired military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount
- All full-time students who keep their student account current are promised their tuition will not increase more than 1% per year for four years
- For the cost of living in Capitol Technology University's modern residential facility, click here
- Academic Fee for UAS-120 $500
For 2020-2021 undergraduate tuition and fees, click here.