Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Offensive Cyber Engineering
Earn a doctoral degree in offensive cyber engineering and secure our nation by addressing the need for adaptability in the face of new and emerging cyber threats to global intelligence, public safety, and the world economy.
The field of Offensive Cyber Engineering is a developing area seen across all organizations. Both the private and public sectors are realizing the need for not only a defensive plan, but also an offensive strategy to combat the common and ever-present threat of hackers, terrorists, and invasive onslaughts to our sensitive and critical online systems. Everything from private healthcare data to global security information needs protection from nefarious infiltrators. Focusing on a position of force and prevention rather than defense and damage control, this program explores effective tactics, techniques, procedures, and philosophy behind offensive cyber engineering.
The PhD in Offensive Cyber Engineering is for current or experienced professionals in the field of cybersecurity, intelligence and security studies, and/or computer science, or related fields, who are serving, retired, or civilian based. Students will pursue a deep proficiency in this area using interdisciplinary methodologies, cutting-edge courses, and dynamic faculty. Graduates will contribute significantly to the Offensive Cyber Engineering field through the creation of new knowledge and ideas.
As your PhD progresses, you will move through a series of progression points and review stages by your academic supervisor. This ensures that you are engaged in research that will lead to the production of a high-quality thesis and/or publications, and that you are on track to complete this in the time available. Following submission of your PhD Thesis or accepted three academic journal articles, you will have an oral presentation assessed by an external expert in your field.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, nationally recognized for our academic excellence in our programs.
Program is 100% online
Our PhD in Offensive Cyber Engineering is offered 100% online.
Market demand for offensive cyber engineering expertise
Get the necessary credentials to take on a leadership role; become a researcher, speaker, author, or trusted expert in this budding field. According to Defense News (2022), the U.S. Army will be soon launching an offensive cyber capabilities office geared towards the development of electronic warfare and cyber offensive objectives.
A degree that is relevant to any and every organization
Graduates will contribute significantly to the offensive cyber engineering field through the creation of new knowledge and ideas that will make them an asset to any organization.
The PhD program offers 2-degree completion requirement options:
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in peer reviewed journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Prior Achieved Credits May Be Accepted
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2024-2025 academic year, beginning in Fall 2024 and continuing through Summer 2025:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $950. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- Information technology fee $40 per credit hour.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for doctoral programs.