Master of Science (MS) in Computer Science
Our master of science in computer science ranked #10 Most Affordable Master's in Computer Science in the US by Master's Program Guide
Consisting of 10 courses Capitol Technology University’s 30 credit hour online MS Computer Science program can be completed in as little as 1 year. Capitol Technology University Is located in the Washington DC metropolitan area, in the heart of one of the world’s most important technology and security hubs within miles of such agencies as the NSA and NASA Goddard, government department employers and significant private employers such as Amazon and Capitol One. Capitol’s MS Computer Science can provide a key career development step to rapidly develop your skills that are in high demand from such employers.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Software Engineering
- Data Science
A computer science master degree provides the ideal basis to move towards such careers as:
- Machine learning engineer–average base pay, $147,3001, ranked 1st in ‘best jobs in the US2
- Data scientist–median base pay, $131,0002, ranked 1st in "best jobs in the US"3
- Computer vision engineer–average base pay, $158,3002
- Software engineer–median base pay, $104,0001, ranked 10th "best job in the nation"2
- Data engineer–median base pay, $131,6731, ranked 8th "best job in the nation"3
- Software engineering manager–median base pay $153,000, ranked 43rd ‘best job in the nation3
- Enterprise architect–median base pay $122,5854
The program teaches the foundational computer science knowledge, combined with hands-on practicality and advanced topics.
With the university’s strong links with large and small DC-area employers, who have an un-met demand for high technology graduates, we aim to connect our outstanding graduates to these employers and awaiting opportunities.
1. Indeed 2020 salaries
2. Indeed 2019 Best Jobs in US
3. Glassdoor’s 2019 50 Best Jobs in America
4. Salary based upon 2019 Glassdoor salary data
Our location is a magnet for top faculty
The Baltimore/Washington area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies, defense contractors, and government agencies.
Our classes are comprised of like-minded peers
Through collaboration with other students, you’ll learn skills and techniques in class that you can apply on the job immediately.
Program is 100% Online
Our master’s in computer science program is offered 100% online. Once you are accepted, all you need is an Internet connection and you can attend class. We keep the classes small so you receive personalized attention from faculty who are interested in sharing their knowledge and helping you succeed.
Capitol Tech Opportunities
You’ll work with a faculty member to develop a major project-based research paper that draws on prior coursework and your personal experiences.
Dr. Robert J. Steele
Chair and Professor, Computer Science
Dr. Robert Steele serves as Chair and Professor of the Computer Science Department. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science, has authored more than 140 peer-reviewed publications, and his work has been patented and successfully commercialized. He also has extensive administrative experience in large, complex and leading institutions nationally and internationally and at all levels of program leadership, curriculum development and teaching.Contact Dr. Robert J. Steele
Market Demand for Computer Science
Get the advanced education needed to become a business cybersecurity manager, information security analyst or a business management/cyber analyst.
Those who earn a master of science in computer science pursue careers as:
- Data scientist
- Software/systems analyst
- Software/systems architect
- IT manager
- Network engineer
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, computer science graduates are at the top of the list of projected highest-paid master’s degree graduates, with an average salary of $81,039.
Generally, to apply to a graduate degree program, you should have completed a bachelor's degree or be completing a bachelor's degree prior to enrollment and should have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher.
Some Master of Science programs have additional technical competency requirements.
A Bachelor of Science degree in computer science or related area is recommended but not required. Students who do not have a B.S. in computer science or related area must have the following programming knowledge:
Programming equivalent to Capitol Technology University course CS-225 Intermediate Java:
- Programming (one or more of Python, Java or C++ recommended)
- Object-oriented programming (classes, objects, inheritance and polymorphism)
- Data structures (queues, stacks, lists, linked lists and trees)
This change to be in effect starting summer 2021.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2021-2022 academic year, beginning in Fall 2021 and continuing through Summer 2022:
- The per credit charge for graduate courses:
- Online or satellite campus (per credit) - $630, plus fees (information technology and other applicable fees)
- Independent study (per credit) - $877, plus fees (information technology and other applicable fees)
- The active duty military tuition rate is $350 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- The retired military tuition rate is $530 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- There is no charge for online application, $40 fee for paper application
For 2022-2023 masters tuition and fees, click here.