Master of Science (MS) in Computer Science
Earn a master of science in computer science, with a university located in the heart of one of the world’s most important technology hubs surrounded by world-renowned government agencies, tech company headquarters and key technology users in government, healthcare, defense, space and professional services.
The program provides the essential bridge into technology careers at the leading edge of transforming national capability and benefiting the community. A computer science master degree provides the ideal basis to move towards such careers as:
- Machine learning engineer – average base pay, $121,0002
- Software engineer – median base pay, $104,000, ranked 10th best job in the nation1
- Data scientist – median base pay, $108,000, ranked 1st in best jobs in the nation1
- Data engineer – median base pay, $100,000, ranked 8th best job in the nation1
- Software engineering manager – median base pay $153,000, ranked 43rd best job in the nation1
- Enterprise architect – median base pay $122,5852
The program teaches the foundational computer science knowledge, combined with hands-on practicality and advanced topics.
With the university’s strong links with large and small DC-area employers, who have an un-met demand for high technology graduates, we aim to connect our outstanding graduates to these employers and awaiting opportunities.
1 Data based upon Glassdoor’s 2019 50 Best Jobs in America
2 Salary based upon 2019 Glassdoor salary data
Our location is a magnet for top faculty
The Baltimore/Washington area has one of the largest concentrations of high-tech companies, defense contractors, and government agencies.
Our classes are comprised of like-minded peers
Through collaboration with other students, you’ll learn skills and techniques in class that you can apply on the job immediately.
Program is 100% Online
Our master’s in computer science program is offered 100% online. Once you are accepted, all you need is an Internet connection and you can attend class. We keep the classes small so you receive personalized attention from faculty who are interested in sharing their knowledge and helping you succeed.
Capitol Tech Opportunities
You’ll work with a faculty member to develop a major project-based research paper that draws on prior coursework and your personal experiences.
Dr. Robert J. Steele
Chair and Professor, Computer Science
Dr. Robert Steele serves as Chair and Professor of Computer Science. He holds a doctorate in Computer Science, has authored more than 140 peer-reviewed publications, and his work has been patented and successfully commercialized. He also has extensive administrative experience in large, complex and leading institutions nationally and internationally and at all levels of program leadership, curriculum development and teaching.Contact Dr. Robert J. Steele
Dr. Nayef Abu-Ageel
Chair of the Engineering Department
Dr. Abu-Ageel has over fifteen years of academic and industrial experience in research, teaching, and entrepreneurship. He holds a PhD in Electrical Engineering from Michigan State University. He joined Capitol Technology University in January 2016. Prior to this, Dr. Abu-Ageel served as an adjunct professor in the Department of Bioengineering and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at George Mason University. The innovative teaching practices he introduced include integrating entrepreneurship into class material as well as involving engineering students with the local community.
Market Demand for Computer Science
Get the advanced education needed to become a business cybersecurity manager, information security analyst or a business management/cyber analyst.
Those who earn a master of science in computer science pursue careers as:
- Data scientist
- Software/systems analyst
- Software/systems architect
- IT manager
- Network engineer
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, computer science graduates are at the top of the list of projected highest-paid master’s degree graduates, with an average salary of $81,039.
Generally, to apply to a graduate degree program, you should have completed a bachelor's degree or be completing a bachelor's degree prior to enrollment and should have a 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher.
Some master of science programs have additional technical competency requirements.
A bachelor of science degree in computer science or the equivalent is recommended but not required. Students who do not have a B.S. in computer science or the equivalent must have the following undergraduate coursework:
Programming equivalent to Capitol Technology University course CS-230, Computer Science Fundamentals II:
- Programming (C++ and Java recommended)
- Object-oriented programming (classes, objects, inheritance and polymorphism)
- Data structures (queues, stacks, lists, linked lists and trees)
- Sorts and searches
Mathematics equivalent to Calculus I through Linear Algebra:
- Capitol Technology University course MA-261, Calculus I
- Capitol Technology University course MA-262, Calculus II
- Capitol Technology University course MA-124, Discrete Mathematics
Students should also be proficient in computer topics including object oriented programming, multiple languages, algorithm development, operating systems, databases, software architecture, distributed programming and other advanced work
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2020-2021 academic year, beginning in Fall 2020 and continuing through Summer 2021:
- The per credit charge for graduate courses:
- Online or satellite campus (per credit) - $630, plus fees (information technology and other applicable fees)
- Independent study (per credit) - $877, plus fees (information technology and other applicable fees)
- The active duty military tuition rate is $350 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- The retired military tuition rate is $530 per credit, plus fees (additional discounts and scholarships do not apply)
- There is no charge for online application, $40 fee for paper application
For 2020-2021 masters tuition and fees, click here.