Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Space Operations
Earn a doctorate degree in Space Operations and meet the increasing need for civilian and military leaders involved in the advancement, expansion, and support of the aerospace workforce on an international and national level.
Interest in space operations is at an all-time high as technological advancements have made it possible to better explore the aerospace environment. Protecting and surveilling the policies, communications, equipment, and operations of our space systems are key to the development and effectiveness of our nation’s global defenses and the safety of our extraterrestrial missions. Government and private sector growth in this field is creating a need for more hired personnel, as many companies are reporting significant workforce shortages of trained technical and management employees with a doctoral degree and experience in leading space operations initiatives. With Capitol Tech’s unique resources, partnerships, and proximity to the nation’s space technology hub of Washington, D.C., just minutes from NASA and other leading space organizations, prospective students will find themselves positioned for success with internship and job opportunities available to them. The PhD in Space Operations is for those who desire to advance in their careers by gaining leadership skills in the industries related directly and indirectly to space operations.
The PhD in Space Operations is for new graduates and current professionals in the field, such as experienced military, civilian members, aerospace and Space Operations personnel, who seek to advance their career, skillset, and leadership positions. Students will pursue a deep proficiency in this area using interdisciplinary methodologies, cutting-edge courses, and dynamic faculty. Graduates will contribute significantly to the Space Operations field through the application of new knowledge, ideas, and research.
As your PhD progresses, you will move through a series of progression points and review stages by your academic supervisor. This ensures that you are engaged in a process of research that will lead to the production of a high-quality Thesis and/or publications and that you are on track to complete this in the time available. Following submission of your PhD Thesis or accepted three academic journal articles, you will have an oral presentation assessed by an external expert in your field.
Expert guidance in doctoral research
Capitol’s doctoral programs are supervised by faculty with extensive experience in chairing doctoral dissertations and mentoring students as they launch their academic careers. You’ll receive the guidance you need to successfully complete your doctoral research project and build credentials in the field.
Proven academic excellence
Study at a university that specializes in industry-focused education in technology fields, nationally recognized for our academic excellence in our programs.
Program is 100% online
Our Ph.D. programs are offered 100% online.
Market demand for space operations personnel
Get the necessary credentials to take on a leadership role; become a researcher, speaker, author, or trusted expert; or enter higher education as a teaching professional.
A degree that creates opportunities
Graduates will contribute significantly to the space operations field through the creation of new knowledge and ideas.
The PhD program offers 2-degree completion requirement options:
- Dissertation Option: the student will produce, present, and defend a doctoral dissertation after receiving the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Boards.
- Publication Option: the student will produce, present, and defend doctoral research that is published as articles (3 required) in peer reviewed journals identified by the university and the student’s Committee. Students must receive the required approvals from the student’s Committee and the PhD Review Board prior to publication.
Prior Achieved Credits May Be Accepted
Tuition & Fees
Tuition rates are subject to change.
The following rates are in effect for the 2023-2024 academic year, beginning in Fall 2023 and continuing through Summer 2024:
- The application fee is $100
- The per-credit charge for doctorate courses is $950. This is the same for in-state and out-of-state students.
- Retired military receive a $50 per credit hour tuition discount
- Active duty military receive a $100 per credit hour tuition discount for doctorate level coursework.
- Information technology fee $39 per credit hour.
- High School and Community College full-time faculty and full-time staff receive a 20% discount on tuition for doctoral programs.